This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Roasted Broccoli and Garlic Shrimp Pasta – a healthy rendition of classic comfort food…
Often our weeknights are so busy, I long for the weekends when I can cook a meal slowly and not rush to get dinner out on the table. This Roasted Broccoli and Garlic Shrimp Pasta is a meal that comes together quickly but looks and tastes like you spent hours preparing it.
Roasted Broccoli and Garlic Shrimp Pasta is not only a great meal for a busy evening but it’s loaded with so many fresh flavors. You’ll find a hefty amount of roasted broccoli and garlic. Plus, this dish is packed with flavorful sautéed shrimp and tossed with a creamy sauce.
Can we talk for a minute about roasted broccoli?
It is, in my opinion, the absolute best way to cook broccoli or actually any other type of vegetable. Toss the broccoli in a pan and drizzle a little olive oil over the top, then mix in a little salt and pepper and that’s it! Roast the broccoli in the oven for about 25 minutes and voila! The best tasting broccoli ever. The broccoli is nicely browned around the edges, it’s slightly crispy and I guarantee roasted broccoli will make a broccoli lover out of anyone.
While the broccoli and cloves of garlic are roasting in the oven, I cook the shrimp on the stove in a little melted butter and in another pot, I make up a creamy béchamel sauce. The sauce is really very simple to make and adds a lot of flavor to the dish.
After the pasta, the shrimp, the sauce, and the broccoli are cooked, the dish begins to come together. I combine the pasta, shrimp and the broccoli together, then I add in the sauce and toss until evenly covered. Season with a little salt and pepper, if necessary and grated parmesan cheese.
The crunch of the broccoli, the sweet flavor of the roasted garlic, the creamy, cheesy sauce and the tender pasta together are simply magical. If you’d like to enjoy a glass of wine, I would recommend a Pinot Noir or a Sauvignon Blanc.
Roasted Broccoli and Garlic Shrimp Pasta
- 16 ounces rotini pasta
ROASTED BROCCOLI AND GARLIC
- 3 cups bite-sized fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cloves garlic , thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese , grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat lightly salted water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until boiling. Add pasta and cook 8 – 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and set aside.
- TO MAKE THE ROASTED BROCCOLI AND GARLIC
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the broccoli, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Toss well. Spread out onto large baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- TO MAKE THE SAUCE
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Whisk in 2 tablespoons flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and cream,stirring constantly for 5 – 6 minutes until thickened. Stir in the thyme, rosemary, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and keep sauce warm until ready to serve.
- TO COOK THE SHRIMP
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper, cooking and stirring occasionally, another 2 – 3 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
- Combine pasta, shrimp, and broccoli in a large bowl. Toss with sauce until evenly covered. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese.