This Gluten Free Chocolate Cake recipe is a rich, glorious dessert that's perfect for date night, as a treat for yourself, or to share. This mini flourless chocolate cake is topped with an easy to make strawberry whipped cream.
If you're searching the best tasting gluten free chocolate cake recipe, you can stop searching now. Today I'm sharing an easy to make Gluten Free Chocolate Cake recipe topped with Strawberry Whipped Cream. This flourless chocolate cake recipe is my go-to cake recipe. I've baked this type of cake more times than I can count and my daughter requests it for her birthday every single year.
A flourless chocolate cake is just what the name implies, made without flour or leavening and is naturally gluten-free. It's such a rich, decadent dessert and the cake has the texture of a fudge brownie with a gloriously crisp topping.
Please don't be intimidated by this recipe - it's a really simple cake to make.
Why This Recipe Works
- It's easy to make. Yes, there are a few steps involved but each one is so worth it.
- If you like brownies, you will absolutely love this cake. It's like eating a very large brownie = heaven!!
- This cake is incredibly rich and chocolatey. The texture of the baked cake is soft and light.
- It's super moist.
- The cake is gluten-free.
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- Chocolate chips, butter, canola or vegetable oil: The chocolate and butter are melted together and the oil stirred in. I use good quality chocolate chips like Guittard, Ghirardelli, or Hershey's. I prefer using semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Eggs: Eggs help to give the cake its moist, fudgy texture.
- Sugar, vanilla extract, and salt: These ingredients sweeten the cake and adds flavor.
- Cocoa powder: Cocoa powder helps take the place of flour in this recipe.
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- Heavy whipping cream
- Strawberry extract
- Food coloring
How To Make This Recipe
Combine chocolate chips, butter and oil in a large heatproof bowl. Set over a saucepan of simmering water and heat, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from saucepan and set aside to cool.
To Make the Whipped Cream
Pour the cream into a large mixing bowl.
Add the sugar, strawberry extract and red coloring (if using) and whisk using a large balloon whisk or an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- I recommend using semi-sweet chocolate chips in this cake recipe.
- Don't over-bake the cake. Test the center with a toothpick or with the tip of a sharp knife. If it comes out clean, it's done.
- Top the cake with the strawberry whipped cream or a few tablespoons of toasted sliced almonds.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Store A Flourless Chocolate Cake?
I like to keep this cake in the refrigerator, covered. As the cake cools, it becomes more solid and fudgier.
How Long Will A Flourless Chocolate Cake Last?
The cake keeps well in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can I Freeze A Flourless Chocolate Cake?
Yes! Be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe container or zip topped freezer bag. When you are ready to enjoy it, move it to the refrigerator to thaw overnight. It keeps well in the freezer for up to up to 3 months.
Flourless Chocolate Cake For Two With Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into 1" pieces (plus more for the pan)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided (plus more for dusting the pan and topping the cake)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
STRAWBERRY WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract flavoring
- 4-5 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly butter baking dish and dust with sugar, tapping out any excess.
- Combine chocolate chips, butter and oil in a large heatproof bowl. Set over a saucepan of simmering water and heat, stirring often, until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove bowl from saucepan and set aside to cool.
- Separate 2 eggs, placing whites and yolks in separate small bowls. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar, the cocoa powder, vanilla, salt and the remaining 1 whole egg to the bowl with the yolks and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Gradually whisk yolk mixture into chocolate mixture and blend well.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until frothy. With the mixer running, gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes. Cake will begin to crack on top.
- Transfer baking pan to a wire rack to cool completely. (Cake will collapse in the center and crack further as it cools).
- TO MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM
- Pour the cream into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, strawberry extract and red coloring (if using) and whisk using a large balloon whisk or an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.