Blackened Tilapia with Cilantro Lime Sauce – bursting with flavor, this easy-to-make meal cooks in 10 minutes!
Guys! We got a puppy!
He’s a real cutie and we’ve completely fallen in love. As of now, his name is Tucker and it seems to fit. We picked him up last Wednesday and he’s about 8 weeks old. I had completely forgotten what life was like with newborn. Seriously, puppies can be like babies with their separation anxiety at night. I’m currently walking around in a zombie-like state, trying to focus long enough to write, bake and think. Cute little Tucker has been keeping us up at night with his crying. If you have any suggestions on how to help him feel better at night, I’d really love to know.
During the day, he’s a bundle of energy. He’s playful, so sweet and quite the charmer. I think his favorite place in the world might be at my feet when I’m working at the computer. I’ll have more about Tucker for you later, but for now I’m excited to share this flavor packed Blackened Tilapia with a creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce with you.
I’ll keep this post short and sweet because on a few hours sleep a night, words just don’t flow.
I made this delicious fish last weekend and my husband and daughter loved it. Coming from New Orleans, I am quite familiar with blackened fish because it can be found on just about every menu in the city. The name comes from the bold rub that fragrantly flavors the fish and becomes dark, or blackened when it cooks.
For the rub, I use a combination of smoked paprika, dried oregano, garlic powder, cumin, salt and black pepper. I mix the spices together and rub the mixture onto both sides of the tilapia. Then, I place the fillets in large skillet and cook for about 3 minutes per side.
This meal is such an easy one to prepare and comes together in 10 minutes. It’s healthy, low in calories and so flavorful. I make up a quick creamy cilantro lime sauce in my food processor that compliments the spiciness of the fish.
Since my husband and I are watching our carbs, I served our tilapia over roasted asparagus. For our daughter, I served hers on a tortilla and garnished with the sauce, cheese and avocado slices. We paired out tilapia with a fruity Pinot Blanc.
Blackened Tilapia with Cilantro Lime Sauce - bursting with flavor, this easy-to-make meal cooks in 10 minutes!
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves , loosely packed
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- tortillas (optional)
- 1 avocado , peeled and sliced (optional)
- Combine the greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, chili flakes and salt in a food processor; process until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine the smoked paprika, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper in a sall bowl. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of fish.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Serve over tortillas, if desired and top with cilantro lime sauce and avocado slices.
Other recipes you might like…