There’s something incredibly comforting about a creamy and cheesy Macaroni and Cheese made with 3 types of cheese, and when it’s made effortlessly in your slow cooker, it’s even better…
This 3 Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is made with a blend of shredded Fontina, White Cheddar and Sharp Cheddar Cheeses, a creamy, extra cheesy sauce and an additional heavy sprinkling of Sharp Cheddar over the top. It’s hard to eat just one bowl, trust me.
About 26 years ago, when my first son was born, I was given my very first slow cooker from a friend. Although I didn’t know it then, I realized soon after that my slow cooker would become the most valued appliance in my kitchen. Think about it, you add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker in the morning, set it and literally forget about it. The amazing aromas floating from your kitchen remind you that dinner is cooking and you are off making the most of your day.
The very first recipe I made in my new slow cooker was this creamy and very cheesy Macaroni and Cheese. It’s a recipe I have made many times when my children were younger. My family has always loved how creamy and loaded with cheese this special mac and cheese is and I love the fact that I can put this dish together in minutes. It’s so easy to make and it’s perfect for weeknight family dinners or weekend entertaining.
This 3 Cheese Macaroni and Cheese is still one of my family’s favorite meals. It begins with already cooked noodles and to the noodles I add melted butter, the three cheeses, eggs, sour cream, spices, milk and a homemade variation of Mornay Sauce. Mornay sauce is a simple white sauce which is typically made with Swiss cheese and/or Parmesan. For this macaroni and cheese recipe, I chose to substitute shredded sharp cheddar cheese to enhance the cheddar flavor.
The first step to making the sauce is to make the roux, which is simply combining melted butter with flour. After stirring and cooking for about 2 to 3 minutes, whisk in milk and continue whisking until the sauce thickens, which will happen quickly. Simmer for a few additional minutes, then stir in the shredded cheddar. Easy, right? The sauce can even be made a day ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator until you’re ready for it.
Slow Cooker 3 Cheese Macaroni And Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- salt , to taste
MACARONI AND CHEESE
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter , melted (1/2 stick)
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese , shredded, plus 1 additional cup for topping (3 cups total)
- 1 cup Fontina cheese , shredded
- 1 cup White Cheddar cheese , shredded
- 3 eggs , beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- TO MAKE THE MORNAY SAUCE
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Increase the heat to medium and blend in the flour. Cook slowly, stirring, until the butter and flour cook together for 2 minutes (do not allow the roux to brown).
- Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in the cheese. Continue to cook, stirring until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- TO MAKE THE MACARONI AND CHEESE
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the macaroni to al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- In the slow cooker, combine the butter, 2 cups of the shredded Cheddar, the Fontina, the White Cheddar cheeses, the eggs, and the sour cream together.
- Slowly stir in the milk, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Add the drained macaroni and stir again.
- Top with the additional cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Other recipes you might like…