Last Updated on
You’ll love the sweet and savory flavors in this easy to prepare Crockpot Mandarin Orange Chicken. A satisfying meal that’s perfect to make any night of the week.
My crockpot rests in a special place on my counter these days. I’m using it more and more often, especially during these crazy last few weeks of December. Did I really just say, last few weeks of December? Goodness, how did that happen…?
These fast and furious days leading up to Christmas have left me feeling a bit overwhelmed at times. I hate rushing through the season and I am making a conscious effort to slow myself down. It’s working too. Even though there’s lots to do, I’m making it a priority to remember the meaning of the season and enjoy the journey.
Using my crockpot to fix dinner certainly frees up my evenings. Fix it and forget it is the perfect motto and also the exact title of a book I bought years ago that sat unopened on my shelf until recently. While going through my stack of recipe books the other day, I picked up this forgotten little book and on one of the pages, I found a recipe for Mandarin Orange Chicken. In all honesty, I’ve tried recipes from this cookbook in the past and have found them to be a little on the bland side. But after reading through the Mandarin Orange Chicken recipe, I decided to give it a try with a few minor tweaks.
First of all, I love chicken thighs. I find them to be so flavorful, moist and tender. So, I lined my crockpot with 6 nice thighs. From there, I mixed together sliced onions, concentrated orange juice, salt, pepper and ground ginger. And what recipe wouldn’t be complete without garlic? Yes, a couple cloves of sliced garlic were added to the bowl. Easy to fix, but to forget…not a chance. The tantalizing aroma coming from my kitchen was a constant reminder of what was to come.
To thicken the sauce, I whisked together a little flour with the juice from the can of mandarin oranges. Then, I heated up the juices from the cooked chicken and blended it all together. From there, I spooned this sweet tasting sauce over the cooked chicken thighs and served it over a bed of rice. Easy…yes and oh so good!
Other recipes you might enjoy…
Disclosure: There are some Amazon affiliate links included in this post. If you click through and purchase through one of the links, it makes me (literally) a few pennies that help pay for the running of this website. I received no free products in the writing of this post.
Crockpot Mandarin Orange Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs , boneless and skinless
- 1 medium sized onion , thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 11 oz . can mandarin oranges , drained (with 3 tablespoons juice reserved)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Place chicken in the slow cooker. Combine onion, orange juice concentrate, salt, pepper and ginger in a small bowl. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours.
- In a saucepan, combine 3 tablespoons reserved mandarin orange juice and flour. Stir until smooth. Stir in chicken cooking juices. Bring to a boil. Stir and cook for 2 minutes to thicken. Stir in mandarin oranges. Pour over chicken. Serve with rice or quinoa.
Recipe adapted from Fix It and Forget It Cookbook