Last Updated on
Creamy, cheesy and delicious, it’s hard to believe this Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole recipe is low carb!
I’ve recently found myself on a quest to lighten up my family’s favorite recipes and in doing so, I’ve become reaquainted with cauliflower. To me, cauliflower had become one of the forgotten vegetables. I love the taste of cauliflower, however, I often find myself gravitating more towards broccoli, green beans or even squash.
I recently made a spicy mashed cauliflower side dish a few weeks ago and it was fantastic. In fact, my kids thought it was made with potatoes. That recipe got me thinking of substituting cauliflower for potatoes in one of our favorite casseroles. To my surprise, it tasted heavenly. But why shouldn’t it? This cauliflower casserole had so many amazing flavors in it. I didn’t feel I was using cauliflower as a potato substitute but as an additional pleasant element of flavor. Adding the cauliflower to this cheesy and flavorful casserole makes ordinary cauliflower outrageous.
How to Make Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole
I cooked the cauliflower until it was tender. Using a potato masher, I mashed it a little, making sure to leave a few nice chunks. Then I mixed in a little sour cream, a splash of heavy cream, minced green onions, an egg, shredded cheddar cheese and crisp pieces of bacon. I sprinkled a hefty handful of additional cheese over the top and baked the casserole in the oven for about 30 minutes.
For my vegetarian son, I put a little of the cauliflower casserole without the bacon into a couple of ramekins.
This twice baked cauliflower casserole tasted heavenly. I loved all the flavors together. Creamy, cheesy and delicious, it’s hard to believe this Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole is low carb. Full of thick chunks of bacon and creamy cheddar cheese, this recipe is a sure winner.
Twice Baked Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 cauliflower large head
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup green onions minced
- 1 egg lightly scrambled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded - plus additional for topping
- 6 slices bacon cooked very crisp and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut out stem and core from cauliflower, cut into pieces. Rinse well.
- Put a couple of inches of water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until tender but not too soft, about 8 minutes.
- Drain well and mash with a potato masher, leaving a few chunks.
- Mix in the sour cream, heavy cream, green onions, egg, cheese and bacon.
- Spread evenly in a medium sized buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle a handful of additional shredded cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Recipe inspired by Emeril Lagasse’s Twice Baked Potato Casserole.