This Pumpkin Sage Beer Bread features all the flavors of fall. It’s super easy to make and pairs well with soups and salads or is perfect on it’s own…
If I were to ask you to guess what recipe my daughter asks me to make the most, I don’t believe you’d ever guess the answer correctly.
Probably your mind would go straight to desserts, as mine would.
Truth is, my 14 year old daughter absolutely loves my Beer Bread. That sentence by itself makes me shake my head in wonder…
Really though, I can hardly blame her. A warm thick piece of hearty, cheesy, delicious bread with a hefty amount of salted butter melting over the top isn’t such a bad thing. It’s insanely delicious!
For some reason, I don’t make beer bread very often and for the life of me, can’t answer why. It’s probably one of the easiest bread recipes there is. The main ingredients are flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and beer.
I finally gave in to Colleen’s request but this time I added 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin, chopped sage and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese. It just seemed right to add pumpkin since we’re entering Fall even though Houston temperatures are hovering in the mid-80’s. Why not make it seasonal?
If you’re worrying that the flavor of sage might be too strong, don’t be. The sage flavor is extremely subtle. It’s lovely, really.
I always use a dark amber beer when I make beer bread because of the deep, rich taste it provides. A lighter beer won’t give as much flavor. Although I didn’t use it, a pumpkin ale might be nice to try.
This bread isn’t sweet as most pumpkin breads tend to be. It’s more of a savory bread that would go well with with a bowl of soup or chili and is especially nice to set out on a table to enjoy before a meal.
Pumpkin Sage Beer Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces beer (preferably dark beer)
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage , roughly chopped or torn (or sub 1/2 teaspoon dry sage)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 3 tablespoons butter , melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the beer, pumpkin, sage, and cheese.
- Spoon batter into a greased 5 x 9 loaf pan.
- Pour melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until top is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Other recipes you might like…