Last Updated on
One of my favorite recipes in the world is Tyler Florence’s Grainy Mustard Mashed Potatoes. I’ve made this recipe many times. I love the creamy consistency and the fresh and fiery taste of the spicy stone ground mustard. It really is the best of the best. However, lately I’ve been trying to lighten up my recipes and thought it might be fun to use cauliflower in place of the potatoes in this recipe.
Mashed cauliflower is a wonderful substitution for potatoes. It tastes a little like mashed potatoes and my kids told me they never would have known it was cauliflower if I hadn’t told them. Cauliflower is low in carbs and full of nutrition.
My family loved the way this dish turned out. This spicy mashed cauliflower is a new favorite at our house.
To make this recipe, steam the cauliflower until tender, mash it and mix in a little cream, milk, butter, garlic powder and two tablespoons of stone ground mustard. I used an immersion blender to mash the cauliflower to get it smooth, but you can easily mash it with a potato masher.
Spicy Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 medium head of cauliflower , cut into florets
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring about 1/2 inch of water to a boil in a large pot. Add the cauliflower florets. Cover and steam until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain water from pot. Mash the cauliflower with a masher or with an immersion blender.
- Mix in the cream, milk, garlic powder, mustard, butter and salt.
- Sir well and serve.