Last Updated on
Oven roasted Sweet Potatoes and Butternut Squash with Cinnamon, Turmeric and Ginger. A pretty and flavorful side dish…
There has been a large butternut squash sitting on my counter for the last week. It was purchased with the promise to make my husband’s favorite Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Soup that I only manage to make when the weather turns cool. It’s a lovely fall soup with rich flavors that’s so easy to prepare, I find myself making it over and over again.
I peel and chop the squash into 1-inch pieces and do the same with a couple of sweet potatoes. I toss both the sweet potatoes and the butternut squash into a large bowl and combine them with curry powder, turmeric cinnamon, ginger, salt, pepper and olive oil. Then I pour them out onto a baking sheet and bake them in the oven for about 25 minutes.
Sweet potatoes and butternut squash go great together and the turmeric and curry powder give them a sweet, earthy flavor. The butternut squash and the sweet potatoes bake quickly and by roasting them in the oven, the edges become crisp and slightly charred while the center remains soft. It was a perfect side dish to serve with the chicken and made me realize that it would make a great side dish to serve during the holidays.
This time of the year, I usually use sweet potatoes to make sweet potato casseroles, but this recipe is a great way to use sweet potatoes in a less sweet dish. This roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash dish is flavorful, easy to make and so pretty to serve. Serve it up for your family this holiday season.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Butternut Squash
- 1 small butternut squash , peeled and seeded
- 3 medium sweet potatoes , peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the butternut squash and the sweet potatoes in 1 to 1 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place the cut vegetables in a single layer on 1 large baking sheet.
- Drizzle them with olive oil, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, ginger and pepper.
- Toss well.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Other recipes you might like…