Light and healthy Spicy Shrimp and Scallops – an easy-to-make dish that’s loaded with juicy shrimp, plump scallops, sweet peppers and tomatoes cooked in a simmering sauce.
For an easy meal, I know I can always turn to shrimp. Shrimp cooks so quickly and because of that reason, I know that I can have a delicious home-cooked meal on the table in no time. When shrimp is paired with scallops that cook just as fast, I know I’ve got an elegant dinner that was a breeze to cook up.
Yes, shrimp has come to my mealtime rescue more times than I can count and believe me, no one around here is complaining.
Not one bit.
Even with my daughter’s school year winding down, “2 more Mondays” she tells me with a smile, we’re still busy in the evenings. Her dad and I are also counting down the days until all the after school activities come to an end. Nights filled with tennis lessons and homework will be ending soon, but with a couple more weeks of school still on the calendar, I’ve still got to have great tasting meals that don’t take long to cook.
I know you’ll love this Spicy Shrimp and Scallops recipe as much as we do. I make it often and my family loves it. Sometimes I add different vegetables depending on what I have on hand but I love to use peppers. The sweetness of the red and yellow peppers compliment the spicy flavors in the sauce.
Just because a meal comes together quickly doesn’t mean it can’t look elegant too. You could definitely serve this at a dinner party.
I had a really hard time coming up with a name for this recipe. Along with the shrimp, scallops, and peppers, there’s also onions, garlic and diced tomatoes.
The vegetables all cook quickly when cooked in a little olive oil. As the sauce simmers, I add in the scallops and the shrimp along with a pinch (or two, depending on how spicy you like it) of chili flakes, smoked paprika, and dried oregano.
It couldn’t be any easier, could it?
Serve this flavor-packed dish over rice and maybe a loaf of crusty french bread and you’ve got a great meal.
Spicy Shrimp and Scallops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , chopped
- 1 red pepper , diced (seeds and stem removed)
- 1 yellow pepper , diced (seeds and stem removed)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 28 ounce can tomatoes , diced
- 1 pound shrimp , shelled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili flakes (add more if you want it more spicy)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion and diced peppers and cook over medium heat, stirring until softened, 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook 2 minutes more.
- Pour in the contents of the can of diced tomatoes along with the juices.
- Add the shrimp and scallops to the pan.
- Stir in the salt, oregano, smoked paprika and chili flakes.
- Taste and add extra salt if needed.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram? We’d love to connect, drop by and say hello! If you’d like to read more from ZagLeft, be sure to subscribe to never miss a post!
As a gift to our readers, subscribers can receive a FREE copy of our eCookbook, College Meals – 30 Days of Recipes! It’s a great gift to give to any college student in your life or even to give to yourself!
Other recipes you might like…