A creamy Shrimp Marinara Pasta is a quick, easy and tasty meal for a busy night.
We’re only a couple of weeks into the summer break and haven’t reached the “lazy days of summer” stage yet. We seem to still be going strong with activities winding down and finishing up. Those slower evenings are right around the corner…I hope…
Yesterday evening, my son was lifeguarding until 9 PM, my daughter had a ballet class and my husband was leaving for a business trip. I was tempted to pick up the phone and simply order a pizza, but thought… No, I knew I had some shrimp in the fridge and pasta in the pantry and I could whip up a healthier, tastier dinner with what I had on hand and in a short amount of time.
I decided to combine a jar of marinara sauce with a bit of heavy cream over the stove. The sauce thickened up while it heated and turned into a rich and creamy marinara sauce that I poured over penne pasta. Then, I simply cooked the shrimp in a little butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder and mixed them in the pasta. It was so creamy and delicious. This will definitely be a go-to recipe for future evenings when I feel I don’t have lots of time to make dinner.
Shrimp and Penne Pasta with Creamy Marinara Sauce
- 1 pound penne pasta (or choose your favorite pasta)
- 1 ounce jar Marinara Sauce (I used Classico 24 jar)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese , grated
- 2 cups shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Pour in the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the shrimp, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stir several times until shrimp is cooked (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan over a medium high heat, pour in the marinara sauce and heavy cream. Stir constantly until heated through. Stir in the parmesan cheese. The sauce should thicken as it heats and as you stir.
- Place the penne pasta in a large bowl. Pour the creamy marinara sauce over the pasta and add the shrimp to the bowl. Stir well until everything is mixed throughout.
- Serve and garnish with fresh, torn basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan cheese, if you'd like.