Last Updated on
A new twist on a Southern favorite, Red Beans and Rice Casserole comes together quickly with all the rich flavors of traditional Red Beans and Rice you crave.
This is the time of year that my “to-do list” seems never-ending. I get frustrated when at the end of the day, I still have items left undone. I’m pretty sure this problem isn’t limited to only me. With all the entertaining, shopping and baking we tend to do during the holidays, the number of hours in the day simply aren’t enough. In addition to joy and celebration, the holidays can also bring unnessesary stress and anxiety. If I can help to make even one part of my day stress-free, I’ve been successful.
This Red Beans and Rice Casserole is one recipe that will surely make meal time a breeze. It’s simple, hearty, full of flavor and can be made it minutes. Growing up in New Orleans, Red Beans and Rice were always on the menu. My family loves Red Beans and Rice and I love making it. Red Beans, vegetables, seasonings and sausage slow cooking on the stove fill your home with a mouthwatering aroma. The problem with making traditional Red Beans and Rice is that it takes time to prepare. That’s not the case with this Red Beans and Rice Casserole. The secret to this baked casserole recipe is Minute® Rice.
Here’s how my take on this traditional Southern dish comes together…
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan.
Add chopped onions, chopped green peppers and minced garlic to the pan and cook until the vegetables soften.
Add in a can of rinsed and drained red beans and sliced sausage.
Add in 1 can of Ro•Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies.
Stir in 1 1/2 cups of Minute® Rice and 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth.
Transfer to a baking dish coated with cooking spray, olive oil or butter.
Top with a cup of shredded cheddar cheese, cover and bake for 30 minutes.
This Red Beans and Rice Casserole is a delicious, healthy dinner that comes together quickly. The sausage gives the Red Beans and Rice a pleasant, smoky flavor and you control how spicy or mild you’d like your casserole to be by choosing either the mild or hot diced tomatoes and chilies.
Red Beans & Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cups small onion , chopped (about 1 1/2 )
- 1 cup medium green pepper , chopped (about 1/2 )
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 12- ounces beef sausage , sliced
- 1 16- ounce can red beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 10- ounce can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Chilies
- 1 1/2 cups Minute Rice White Rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and green peppers and cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring for a minute more.
- Add in the sausage and red beans and stir.
- Mix in the can of undrained diced tomatoes and chilies, the rice and the chicken broth. Stir well.
- Transfer to the baking dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Other recipes you might like…