Ah, the ups and downs of having a teenager living under the same roof. I think I could write a book sometimes about the things that go on at our house. I’m sure, however, that my kids won’t find as much humor in those stories as I do. And just when I think I’ve got things somewhat figured out, they change plans and do just the opposite. It keeps me on my toes, I guess.
Currently, my 16 year old vegetarian son is boycotting vegetables. I’m not sure how one can be a vegetarian and not eat vegetables, but he’s managing to do just that. He still loves his favorites, like Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burritos and Vegetarian Sloppy Joes, but he’s certainly getting picky beyond my rotating list. He would prefer cheese pizza and non-meat hot dogs which are okay once in a while, but not all the time. I confess, I’ve given in to his pizza demands and have been making a lot of pasta dishes lately because for one, they’re easy and number two, I know he’ll eat them.
The other night, I decided to experiment with a burrito recipe and came up with these wonderful Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos which my entire family loved. Having a family member that’s a vegetarian forces me to find ways for him to get his protein and these burritos are packed with protein. Quinoa and black beans are excellent sources of protein and they taste great – it’s a win-win!
The burritos come together quickly. I cooked the quinoa ahead of time but it only takes 10-15 minutes to cook anyway. I combined the cooked quinoa with onions, orange and red peppers, garlic, spices and of course, a can of drained and rinsed black beans and served it with tortillas. They were delicious! I made up a quick batch of peach salsa and topped the Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos with a generous scoop.
Other recipes you might like…
Cooked quinoa, combined with onions, orange and red peppers, garlic, spices and black beans make up the filling in these flavorful Quinoa and Black Bean Burritos. To make them extra special, serve with peach salsa.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 orange pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 26.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 8 tortillas
- Heat the oli in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper and cook, stirring 2 minutes more.
- Add the cumin and black beans and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa.
- Remove from the heat. Dividing evenly, top the tortillas with the quinoa and black bean mixture and fold edges over like a package.