After I made last week’s crockpot recipe, I made the commitment to myself to put my crockpot to use more often. It truly is a genius appliance, but I’m sure you know this already. Just put all the ingredients inside the pot, turn it on and leave it alone to cook. So to add to my new ever-growing crockpot recipe file, I’ve put together a wonderful crockpot Italian Chicken recipe that my family loved.
I always make Italian Chicken on the stove. I let the chicken simmer in a rich and hearty tomato sauce and it always tastes great and the chicken is so full of flavor and fall-apart tender. The only issue is that it takes time to cook it. Since chicken cooks so easily in the crockpot, I wanted to experiment with cooking my recipe in the crockpot.
I believe the secret to making this Crockpot Italian Chicken taste so good was the italian dressing I whisked together to pour over the chicken breasts. It was a simple vinaigrette consisting of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. The vinaigrette gave the chicken a great tangy flavor. I also added a can of crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, dried basil and oregano. Goodness, all those flavors mingling together for hours can’t help but make the tender chicken incredibly flavorful.
I served the Italian Chicken over a bed of pasta and my son, who doesn’t eat meat, loved the sauce and the pasta without the chicken.
I’m on the lookout for other great crockpot recipes to begin making for my family. Do you have any favorites? Please leave me a comment, I’d love to know.
Crockpot Italian Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (I use Classico, but use your favorite)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Spray the inside of the crockpot with an oil spray to prevent sticking.
- Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and pour over the chicken breasts.
- Top with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 8 hours and serve with pasta or rice.
Other recipes you might like: