For this edition of College Student Meals I'm sharing a recipe for one of my favorite healthy snacks, Fruit Salsa with Crispy Cinnamon Sugar Chips....
Fresh fruit is a wonderful healthy snack and mixing your favorite seasonal fruits together in this easy and versatile Fruit Salsa makes it a colorful and delicious treat. Serve with crispy and flavorful Cinnamon Sugar Chips. It's a perfect snack for college students!. ..
The beauty of this little recipe is that you can use whatever fruits you love and whatever fruits are in season. I love strawberries and blueberries so I made this fruit salsa with those. I also added in apples, bananas and seedless mandarins too. The idea is to use what you like and make this recipe your own.
The fruit to me is sweet enough but if you'd like it to be a little sweeter, stir in 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar or use a sugar substitute. You can even add a dollop of vanilla yogurt or other flavored fruit yogurt on the top to give it some extra flavor.
To keep the fruit looking fresh, stir in 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice. It prevents the bananas and apples from turning brown.
For most salsas, the chips are just about as important as the salsa itself, right?
I made these easy cinnamon sugar chips using flour tortillas. They crisp up in the oven and have just the perfect amount of sweetness.
Just cut the tortillas into triangles, brush a little melted butter over the tops and sprinkle them with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Bake the tortilla chips in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes. The butter makes the chips perfectly crispy and the cinnamon sugar gives them an extra lovely crunch. You might want to make extra because these are totally addictive and we tend to run out way too quickly.
Keep a container of this fruit salsa in the refrigerator for a late night study snack, bring it to a March Madness party or eat it for breakfast.
If you're looking for other March Madness recipes which would be perfect to serve while watching the games, you might like these...
College Student Meals – Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Chips
- 5 whole flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup stick butter melted, 1/2
- 1 pint strawberries rinsed, hulled and cut into quarters
- 1/2 pint blueberries
- 1 banana sliced, then cut into quarters
- 2 mandarins peeled
- 1 pieces small apple cut into
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- yogurt optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- On a cutting board, cut the tortillas into triangles.
- Brush both sides of each tortilla with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle both sides of each tortilla with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the fruit together in a large bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and top with yogurt if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.