Last Updated on
Today feels like a weird day for me. Since the middle of November, my family and I have been continuously on the go. Today is the first day I feel like I can truly sit down at my computer and think and work. I could make a list a page long of all the things happening in our lives right now but I won’t bore you with the details. Let me just say, it began with our oldest son’s graduation from college in November and ended with him moving away to California a few days ago. I’m proud of him and know he’ll do well, I just miss having him a few hours away and able to come home on the weekends if he wanted to. Fortunately, my husband has plenty of frequent flyer miles from all the business travel he’s been doing lately because I’m planning on visiting California often.
While my kids were home, we watched a lot of football together on television and sat around the fire pit outside talking and laughing. I made a lot of foods that we could pick up with our hands and eat informally. One of the foods I made was this fabulous Spinach and Cheese Stuffed French Bread. It was so good! I could hardly keep pieces on the plate and found myself making this appetizer many times while the kids were home. I apologize for the less than perfect pictures, I was trying to snap pictures fast but these easy to grab bites kept flying off the plate and into the hands and mouths of my very hungry kids.
What’s not to love about this stuffed french bread? It’s cheesy, creamy and totally healthy. Well, kinda, sorta almost totally healthy.
You’ll find this to be an extremely easy appetizer to make. First, saute a little chopped onion in a little bit of butter. Add chopped spinach and roasted red peppers and let them cook down a bit. (P.S. I used thawed frozen spinach and a jar of roasted red peppers).
Then, stir in greek yogurt, cream cheese and cheddar cheese and allow it all to melt and get creamy. Place this flavorful mixture inside a hollowed out loaf of french bread, top with a little remaining cheese and bake in the oven. Easy and delicious!
If you’d like to give these stuffed french bread bites a little kick, add a tablespoon of chopped jalapeno peppers into the pan with the onions. I didn’t add the peppers because EJ’s dad was visiting with us and can’t tolerate spicy foods but I will most certainly do this next time I make it.
This deliciously cheesy Spinach and Cheese Stuffed French Bread is a hit at any party. Serve the dip with tortilla chips or cut into slices to serve.
Spinach and Cheese Stuffed French Bread
- 1 long loaf of french bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 oz spinach frozen package thawed and drained
- 12 oz roasted red peppers canned red peppers drained and chopped
- 8- oz plain greek yogurt
- 8- oz cream cheese
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded plus additional for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a serrated knife, trip the upper quarter off the length of the top of the loaf of french bread. Hollow out the center of the loaf, leaving the shell. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper and add the spinach. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, stirring occasionally until there isn't much water from the spinach in the pan.
- Add in the chopped red peppers and stir for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the yogurt, cream cheese and cheddar cheese. Reduce the heat and cook, stirring constantly until the cheeses melt.
- Remove pan from the heat.
- Fill the hollowed out bread loaf with the spinach-cheese mixture and top with the additional cheddar cheese.
- Wrap the loaf in aluminum foil.
- Place the loaf on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and unwrap.
- Serve warm with chips for dipping, if desired, or cut the bread into 2-inch slices.
If you like this recipe, you might also like: