Baked Italian Chicken Tenders – chicken strips lightly dipped in butter and dredged in a mixture of Italian spices and bread crumbs then baked to a crispy perfection. A flavorful recipe that can be made in under 30 minutes!
My kids love chicken tenders. Flavorful strips of chicken with a thick breading are a favorite for sure. Although my family loves chicken tenders. I rarely buy them. Even though store bought or fast-food chicken tenders taste great, the thick, crusty, often salty and very fattening breading surrounding the chicken is just too much.
So, since my family loves chicken tenders, I thought I’d come up with a healthier and even tastier version at home.
These chicken strips are lightly dipped in Italian spices and bread crumbs and baked to a crispy perfection.
Baked Italian Chicken Tenders happen to be one of my family’s favorite meals and one that I prepare often. Busy weeknights are hard. Between dance lessons and other after school activities, the last thing I want to do when we get home from running around is cook for an hour.
That’s why I love this recipe. It takes only minutes to melt the butter and dredge the chicken pieces in the bread crumb/spice mixture and they bake in the oven for just 20 minutes.
Here’s a tip…
I keep a bag of frozen chicken pieces in the freezer at all times. I’ll keep either chicken breasts, thighs or stips. They’re great to have on hand when I need to make dinner quickly. Since you keep them in the freezer, they last for months.
For the spice mixture, I use a combination of Italian spices such as, basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary and garlic. Really though, this recipe lends itself well to creativity. Use the spices you want and create the chicken tenders you love.
Since they’re baked in the oven, these chicken tenders are healthier than fried. Yes, they are dipped in butter but it helps the spices adhere to the chicken. You could also dip the chicken pieces in milk if you’d prefer. My personal recommendation however, dip them in butter.
These flavorful Baked Italian Chicken Tenders are easy to make and they cook quickly. You can have dinner in 30- minutes!
Dip them in ketchup, bar-b-que sauce or my husband’s favorite, honey mustard sauce. For a low carb version, leave out the bread crumbs. Just dip them in a little melted butter and dredge them in the spice mixture.
Baked Italian Chicken Tenders
- 1 cup italian or seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Dip the chicken strips in the melted butter, then dredge them in the bread crumb mixture.
- Place the chicken strips on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with honey mustard or your favorite dipping sauce.
Other recipes you might enjoy…