There are a few "side dishes" that I would happily choose for my main course and this Roasted Potatoes And Green Beans with Bleu Cheese Crumbles is certainly one of them. It's my simple go-to recipe when I need a to put together a quick side. We especially love it with grilled chicken, it's a perfect combination.
I've been a fan of roasting vegetables for a long time. I love the way roasting brings out the wonderful flavors of the vegetables. They brown, they charr up a bit, and they become utterly fabulous! A little olive oil, freshly sliced garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper is often all you need.
Simple and fresh tasting, you'll love the easy way this "side dish" is prepared. I begin by cutting the potatoes and roasting them along with the garlic in the oven. The green beans will cook faster than the potatoes, so add them to the pan during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Just remove the pan with the potatoes from the oven and add in the green beans. You might want to add an additional splash of olive oil and stir it all together with a spoon. Return the pan back to the oven to cook an additional 15 minutes or so.
When the green beans and potatoes are done, I toss them again, add a bit more olive oil and finally, I add the bleu cheese crumbles. The warmth of the freshly cooked vegetables slightly melts the bleu cheese. I don't usually add any more salt because of the saltiness of the cheese. The green beans are tender but still have a slight crisp to them, and the potatoes are warm and creamy on the inside but with a perfect crisp coating on the outside.
I usually serve this side dish warm, however, I always eat the leftovers for lunch the next day cold. It becomes my "main dish" lunch the next day. I'm not sure which way I prefer, I just look forward to eating them both ways. So this is my favorite side dish, what's yours? I'd love to know. Leave your favorite side dish in the comment section below.
Roasted Potatoes And Green Beans With Bleu Cheese Crumbles
- 3 inch medium-sized baking potatoes (cut into appx. 1- chunks)
- 1 pound green beans , ends trimmed and washed
- 2 cloves garlic , sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 8 oz bleu cheese , crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the potato pieces and the garlic into a large baking pan.
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss well to evenly coat.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven and add the green beans.
- Add a little extra olive oil if the potatoes look dry.
- Mix the green beans and the potatoes with a spoon.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and stir in the bleu cheese crumbles.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.