This baked BBQ chicken recipe is absolutely perfect! Baked in a cast iron skillet, this chicken is surrounded by seasoned vegetables and cooked together in one pan. Incredibly juicy and full of flavor.
Don’t you love when you find a really great recipe that looks good, tastes amazing and clean up is a breeze? I know I do. This perfect baked bbq chicken recipe is just the recipe and I know you’ll love it as much as I do.
Here’s the thing, I’m not new to the one-pan oven roasted chicken dinner idea. I love roasting whole chickens in the oven and I do it all the time. Mostly though, I keep it simple. A little butter, a little salt, maybe some lemons. Simple.
This time I decided to go bold and be a little daring by using KC Masterpieces new Fiery Habanero Honey Barbecue Sauce. Real habanero heat, perfectly balanced with honey. The results were out-of-this-world.
Baking a whole chicken isn’t difficult. A medium-sized chicken really only takes about 1 hour and a half to cook, so you can easily make it on a busy weeknight.
Place the chicken in the oven along with an assortment of vegetables, pour yourself a nice glass of wine and let the chicken bake. While you wind down, dinner is cooking.
Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe
Baked Chicken – Step 1
Place the chicken in a cast iron skillet.
Liberally season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper.
Stuff the cavity of the chicken with slices of an orange and a few cloves of garlic. The sweet oranges compliment the spiciness of the barbecue sauce.
Baked Chicken – Step 2
Soften a stick of butter.
TIP: You’ll can tell when butter is soft when it’s still cool to the touch, but when pressed using a little pressure, your finger will leave an indentation.
Baked Chicken – Step 3
Add 1/2 cup of the fiery habanero barbecue sauce.
Stir the butter and sauce together.
Baked Chicken – Step 4
Lay the chopped broccoli, carrots, potatoes and chopped onions around the chicken.
Add a large spoonful of the barbecue/butter mixture to the inside cavity of the chicken and spread the remaining mixture over the top of the chicken.
Add salt and pepper to the top of the chicken and the vegetables. Then, drizzle a little olive oil over the vegetables.
Baked Chicken – Step 5
Place the skillet into the preheated oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
So easy, right?
Baked BBQ chicken is one of my favorite meals for small dinner parties and relaxed weeknight dinners. Cooking everything in one pan makes it a breeze.
If you’re cooking for one, you’ll find this easy BBQ chicken recipe to be a wonderful addition to your recipe files. Leftover chicken is wonderful to add to make recipes.
I’m so happy to be partnering with KC Masterpiece on this BBQ chicken recipe. Thank you so much for supporting the brands we so carefully choose to work with. All opinions expressed are our own.
Connect with One Dish Kitchen!
Be sure to follow us on social media so you never miss a post!
Click HERE to sign up to receive new recipes in your inbox!
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Recipe
Perfect Cast Iron Skillet Roasted BBQ Chicken
- 1 5-6 pound roasting chicken
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 tablespoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 small orange, quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup KC Masterpiece Fiery Habanero Barbecue Sauce
- 1 medium onion, thickly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup baby carrots
- 2 cups fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Pat the outside dry. Place the chicken in the cast iron skillet.
- Season the inside of the chicken with 1/2 tablespoon of the salt and 1/2 tablespoon of the ground black pepper.
- Stuff the cavity with the oranges and the garlic.
- Place the softened butter in a small bowl and stir in the barbecue sauce. Set aside.
- Scatter the onions, broccoli, carrots, and potatoes around the chicken.
- Put a hefty tablespoon of the butter/sauce mixture into the cavity of the chicken.
- Spread the remaining butter/sauce mixture over the entire top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt and pepper over the vegetables and the chicken.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables and gently mix to distribute oil.
- Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
- Cover skillet with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken and serve with the vegetables.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KC Masterpiece. The opinions and text are all mine.
We now have a COOKING FOR ONE Facebook group.
We’re new and we’re growing. Join us to share your favorite single serving recipes and find new ones too. We’d love to see you there!
Click HERE to join the community!
This post contains affiliate links. If I like a product and that product has an affiliate program, then I will link to that product using an affiliate link. Using an affiliate link means that, at zero cost to you, I might earn a commission on a product if you buy something through my affiliate link. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.