I hadn’t always been a huge fan of brussels sprouts. Growing up, my mother would cook them in a pot of boiling water and then smother them with butter and Velveeta. I would then cover the brussels sprouts in the rich sauce to make sure I barely tasted them. However, a few years back I discovered roasted brussels sprouts and at that moment my life changed. I don’t just like brussels sprouts, I love them!
Roasting brussels sprouts is seriously easy. Mix them with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and pop them in the oven for a bit and you’re good to go. But the other night, I made roasted brussels sprouts with a touch of maple syrup and a little orange blossom honey balsamic vinegar and it totally took them to an entirely different level.
You certainly don’t have to use orange blossom honey balsamic vinegar but I happen to love the taste of it and it goes so well with the maple syrup. Simple balsamic vinegar will do, but if you can find it, do try it. I found it right next to all the vinegars in the grocery. It’s also wonderful when making salad dressings or marinades. It’s just a lightly sweet and tangy flavor that really does add a lot of flavor to any dish.
Light and healthy, these brussels sprouts come out of the oven with a slight crunch and full of flavor. They’re not soggy as I remember eating them when I was a kid. Give roasting brussels sprouts a try, you’ll never think the same way about them.
Maple Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, orange blossom honey balsamic vinegar (recommended)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the brussels sprouts in a bowl and add the garlic and shallots.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour over the brussels sprouts and mix well.
- Transfer to a baking pan and spread out the mixture in a single layer.
- Place pan in the oven and roast for 25-30 minutes, until the brussels sprouts are tender and nicely browned.
- Add salt to taste and serve hot.