Last Updated on
This healthy Lentil Salad combines lentils with finely chopped red onions, green peppers, red peppers, cilantro and parsley. It’s perfect to make ahead for lunch or to enjoy on the side with a piece of salmon or chicken.
If I had to pick a favorite food, lentils would be at the top of the list. I love lentils, but what I’ve found is that most people either love them or they hate them. The reality is that many of the people who say they dislike lentils may have only tried them by alone and not in a flavorful recipe such as this one or when they have tried them, the lentils have been overcooked and are now mushy.
Personally, I think lentils are pretty great. They’re quicker to make than dried beans (no-soaking!) and they’re full of protein. I really love the taste, too.
Lentils are a year-round staple at our house. In the winter, I toss them into hearty soups or in our favorite Vegetarian Sloppy Joes. In the summer, I love to serve them cold in dishes such as this Quinoa, Lentil and Black Bean Burrito Bowl. Our new favorite way to incorporate lentils is in this very simple Lentil Salad.
This flavorful gluten-free Lentil Salad is super easy to make and ideal served as either the main course or as a side dish.
Here’s how it comes together…
I cook the lentils in a little water for about 15 to 20 minutes or so, until the lentils start to soften but are still al dente. I remove them from the stove and rinse the lentils in a colander with cold running water. Next, the salad quickly comes together…
I chop up a small red onion, one green and one red pepper, cilantro and parsley and add them to a large bowl. After I add the lentils to the bowl, I mix up a quick dressing made with olive oil, white wine vinegar, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and pour it over the top. After you taste the salad, you can add more salt and pepper if you feel it needs it.
I often make this salad ahead of time and keep it in the refrigerator to eat for lunch for the week as the flavors get better overnight.
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper , finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley , finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine rinsed lentils in a large pot with 4 cups cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until lentils start to soften but are still slightly firm.
- Remove from heat and rinse lentils in a colander under cold water.
- Combine lentils with the chopped peppers, cilantro and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over the lentils and mix well.
Other recipes you might like…