Light and flavorful California inspired Garlic and Smoked Paprika Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps – a fun, tasty and low calorie dinner.
I’ve just returned home from a wonderful Spring Break vacation with my family to beautiful Southern California. We had a fabulous time visiting our oldest son, Michael and taking in all the beautiful sites in and around San Francisco and then on to Los Angeles and Newport Beach. We were blessed with gorgeous weather which allowed us to be able to spend plenty of time outdoors. One thing I noticed about being in Southern California is that because the weather is so perfect, we not only wanted to be outside as much as we could, but we wanted to enjoy all the beautiful produce and fresh foods that we found everywhere we went. Now that we’re back home, I want to carry back the healthier eating we began while we were there.
These Garlic and Smoked Paprika Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps that I made our first night back home certainly brought me back to the fresh, healthy flavors we found in California. I mixed lean ground beef with fresh minced garlic, ground turmeric and smoked paprika and browned it in a skillet with a touch of olive oil. Then, I filled a few large romaine lettuce leaves with the ground beef and topped them with shredded cabbage, slices of tomato and avocado. I found a bag of shredded cabbage in the produce section of my supermarket which I used to keep things simple. You could shred your own cabbage in a food processor and if you do, a half of a small head of cabbage would be plenty. You could also top with bean sprouts and garnish with shredded cheese, if you’d like. The point is to garnish these lettuce wraps the way you like. I love avocado and tomatoes and topped ours with both.
The smoked paprika and turmeric were a perfect blend of spices to add to the ground beef. If you’ve never tried smoked paprika, please try it. I love the smoky, rich flavor it brings to many foods. I buy mine in the bulk aisle of my supermarket where I can purchase just the right amount of spice I need. As a side note, I try to buy all my spices in the bulk aisle. It’s so much cheaper to buy this way.
These light and flavorful California inspired ground beef lettuce wraps were a hit with my family and a fun, different, delicious and low-calorie dinner. I paired them with a light and fruity sauvignon blanc, served them on my patio and when I closed my eyes, I was transported by a memory back to our California vacation.
Garlic and Smoked Paprika Ground Beef Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6-8 leaves wide lettuce (I prefer using romaine because it is sturdier but iceberg or bibb lettuce work well too)
- 1 avocado , sliced
- 1 roma tomato , sliced
- 1/2 cup cabbage or coleslaw , shredded
- cheddar cheese , shredded (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat.
- Add the ground beef to the pan stirring to break up pieces. Add in the garlic, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper and stir occasionally until ground beef is completely browned.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place a scoop of the ground beef into each lettuce leaf.
- Top with slices of avocado, tomato and shredded cabbage.
- Finish with cheese, if desired.