Last Updated on
These rich and buttery Double Chocolate Mint Scones remind me of Thin Mint cookies. They’re perfect for dunking in your morning coffee or to enjoy with your afternoon tea…
When we moved to Houston many years ago, we were fortunate to find a lovely house on a quiet cul-de-sac. Here my children could ride their bikes and engage in fun street games of soccer and softball just steps from our front door. Finding our house on this very close-to-perfect street was this busy mother’s dream come true.
At that time, there were several families with children about the same age as ours and all the kids would play together until the sun went down. Many of those kids were involoved with either Girl Scouts or Boy Scouts and when the kids would ask me several times a year to support their various scout fundraisers, without hesitation, I’d always answer yes.
Over the years, the kids grew up and moved on to either college or out of town and and our street has become strangely quiet. In fact, I think our entire neighborhood has “grown up” since we seldom have kids knocking on our door to sell anything.
One of my favorite times of the year was when the Girl Scouts would sell their cookies. We enjoyed many different kinds but my all-time favorites have always been Thin Mints.
I love the combination of mint and chocolate and there’s something special about the thin chocolate wafer covered with the rich minty chocolate coating.
When I made these Double Chocolate Mint Scones last week, I was completely reminded of the flavors in Thin Mints.
Buttery and rich, these chocolate scones have a double dose of chocolate in them. In addition to the cocoa powder, they’re studded with handfuls of rich chocolate chunks. Chocolate, more chocolate and mint is not a bad combination, if you ask me. In fact, it’s pretty perfect!
While the ever popular Thin Mint cookies were my inspiration for these delicious scones, you’ll find that they aren’t nearly as sweet. They’re just as a scone should be with a moist crumb and crumbly edges.
I used Guittard mint chips because I love the strong mint flavor, but feel free to use any mint chips you can find. I ordered mine from Amazon because the chips aren’t easy to find in the stores in my area.
Double Chocolate Mint Scones
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup mint chips
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Pour into mixing bowl and stir until just combined.
- Stir in the chips.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead very lightly and form into an 8-inch circle. (Add a little more flour to the dough if the dough becomes too sticky to handle)
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet for a minute or so, then transfer onto a wire rack.
*post contains an affiliate link.
Other scone recipes you might enjoy…