Pea, Cheddar & Crispy Pancetta Crustless Quiche - a delightfully light quiche recipe with the perfect balance of savory flavors. An easy to make dish for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
For the Pea, Cheddar and Crispy Pancetta Crustless Quiche, I started by scrambling six eggs and mixing in 3/4 cup of half and half which made the eggs light and fluffy. In a skillet, I cooked to a perfect crispiness, several slices of pancetta which filled the kitchen with one of the best aromas there is! I crumbled the crispy pieces of pancetta into the egg/milk mixture, then I added peas and a hefty helping of sharp cheddar cheese and a few other spices.
I poured all of this deliciousness into a buttered pie dish and baked it in the oven for just about an hour.
In a word, heavenly. This crustless quiche was so light and fluffy. The saltiness of the pancetta was balanced perfectly by the sweetness of the peas and in each savory bite was the surprising discovery of the tangy cheddar cheese.
Just a word about crustless quiches...Have you ever tried one? I love to make them and they are so easy to make too. Just take a look at the picture above to see how the quiche forms it's own crust when it's baked. There's no need for a floured crust at all. In fact, I think a pie crust sometimes takes a little something away from the wonderful flavors of most quiches. In this particular case, I know a crust wouldn't be necessary - there are too many wonderful things happening here.
An added bonus is that crustless also means "low carb" and lower in calories too. I'll exchange those calories for a big chocolate chip cookie, thank you!
Pea, Cheddar and Crispy Pancetta Crustless Quiche is great for dinner but it would be perfect for breakfast or brunch too! I topped it with a few slices of avocado and garnished the top with a sprig of mint and served it with a light Pinot Noir.
As I mentioned, I love to make crustless quiches and I've listed a few of my favorites below. Have you ever made one? What would your favorite flavor combination be?
Thank you so much for reading!
Pea, Cheddar & Crispy Pancetta Crustless Quiche
- 1 tablespoon butter plus 1 tablespoon more for buttering the pan
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces sliced pancetta
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup half and half or heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- slices a few of avocado and mint for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the pan and set aside.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat. Melt the butter in the pan.
- Add the chopped onions and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Pour the onions and garlic into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Return the skillet back the the stove and reheat again on medium heat. In batches, add the pancetta and cook until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate and let drain briefly. Crumble when cool.
- Crack open 6 eggs into the mixing bowl.
- Add in the half and half or cream and whisk together.
- Stir in the peas, cheese, crumbled pancetta, chopped mint, salt and pepper.
- Pour into buttered pie dish and place on a large baking sheet.
- Bake until the quiche is puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Granish with slices of avocado and mint, if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.