Creamy, smoky and perfectly flavored, this Chicken with Creamy Paprika Sauce is wonderful served over pasta or rice and be sure to pour plenty of the delicious sauce over the top.
I first encountered Smoked Paprika a few years ago, when I hastily grabbed a bottle of what I thought was plain paprika off the shelf at our local store. The recipe I was working on needed paprika and it wasn’t a spice I had in my pantry at the time. I returned home from my quick trip to the store only to discover that I had purchased the “wrong” type of paprika. Since my recipe was waiting to be made and I didn’t have any additional time to spare, I used the smoked paprika in place of the “regular” kind. And what a pleasant surprise it was. Smoked paprika has quickly become one of my favorite spices and I love using it in all kinds of recipes.
Paprika is one of those spices that I never really thought much of. Growing up, my mother would sprinkle some on top of deviled eggs and it didn’t really impart any flavor whatsoever. I thought it was more of a garnish. I’ve come to learn that paprika by itself, sprinkled raw on a food has in fact, no flavor. The flavor comes out when the paprika is heated in a moist enviromnent, like in oil. That’s why I love using paprika, or more specifically, smoked paprika in chicken dishes such as this sweet Chicken with Creamy Paprika Sauce. I find when I use this delightful spice, it gives the dishes a lovely sweet, woodsy flavor.
For this recipe, I mix together smoked paprika, salt and pepper and toss several chicken breasts that I’ve sliced into strips in with the spices. Then, I heat a little butter in a skillet and add the chicken and let them cook. When the chicken is cooked through, I remove the chicken strips from the pan and add in chopped onion, garlic and yes, more smoked paprika. After the onions and garlic cook down, I add a can of diced tomatoes and a little chicken broth. As the sauce cooks, it thickens on the stove. Finally, I pour in a little cream, add the chicken back and heat it all together.
Creamy, smoky and perfectly flavored! Serve over pasta or rice and be sure to pour plenty of the wonderful sauce over the top.
Chicken with Creamy Paprika Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts , boneless and skinless
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup onion , chopped (about 1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 28- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch strips. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons smoked paprika, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Saute' the chicken for 4 minutes or until cooked through. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet. Add the onion and saute' for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the smoked paprika and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and saute' for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and increase the heat to medium-high. Boil for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens enough to lightly coat a spoon.
- Add the chicken and any collected juices. Reduce the heat to low and add the cream. Stir until heated through but do not boil.
- Serve over pasta.