Cheesy and extra creamy Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas loaded with thick pieces of flavorful chicken and fresh chopped spinach surrounded by a velvety white sauce- completely satisfying and absolutely delicious.
Aside from this being the best tasting chicken enchilada recipe in the world, this creamy dish is so easy to make. What I love to do is either buy rotisserie chicken from our market and use the already cooked chicken in this recipe or I'll roast a large chicken the night before and save some of the chicken meat to use instead. It's the perfect recipe to use leftover chicken in. You could, of course, cook a couple of chicken breasts ahead of time too.
The creamy sauce is a flavorful combination of sweet sautéed onions, garlic, cumin and coriander blended into sour cream then whisked into chicken broth and heated to a perfectly creamy thickness. To the sauce I add a hefty cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese which melts and further enhances the sauce's creaminess. After the sauce is prepared, I stir a cup of it into a big bowl and combine it with the cooked chicken, fresh chopped spinach and a little more cheese.
I spoon the glorious mixture onto warm tortillas, roll them up, place them in a baking dish, top with more sauce and bake for 30 minutes.
Take a look at all the flavorful layers of tortillas, chicken, spinach and cheese. A delicious taste of everything in each bite.
They also freeze well so you can even make a double batch and freeze some to enjoy later.
Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas
- 10 8- inch flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8- ounces of sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and heat in the oven for 10 minutes until softened. Remove from oven and set aside.
- PREPARE THE SAUCE
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, coriander, cumin and pepper and cook until onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the sour cream and add to the onion mixture.
- Stir in the broth and cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- At this point, taste and add salt as needed.
- Place the cooked chicken in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of the sauce, the spinach and 1/2 cup of the cheese and mix well.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the filling on top of each tortilla and roll up.
- Arrange the rolls, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking dish.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese and bake, covered with aluminum foil for about 35 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.