Last Updated on
Quinoa seems to be taking over the headlines lately. This protein packed grain (or seed) can be found in many delicious recipes. I’ve become quite the quinoa fanatic as evidenced by my ever growing quinoa Pinterest board. It seems I find a new quinoa recipe daily that I pin and commit to trying soon.
This Baked Quinoa with Spinach, Red Peppers and Cheese was inspired by a recipe I found from Whole Foods for a Quinoa-Egg Bake. This recipe really caught my attention. It’s made a little like a quiche; using eggs and milk and the fun thing is that the quinoa settles to the bottom of the baking pan where it cooks to become a “crust”. I knew I needed to try making “quinoa quiche” because it could easily be made to include all my favorite vegetables and cheeses.
This is truly a one dish recipe and you don’t even need to cook the quinoa ahead of time! Love that! Start by greasing a 13×9 baking dish and set it aside (okay…so maybe it’s a two dish recipe 🙂 ). Crack open the eggs and put them into a large bowl, add the milk, garlic, rosemary, shredded cheese, chopped spinach and chopped red peppers and mix them all together. Lastly, add in the quinoa, give it a stir and pour the entire mixture into the baking dish. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. I like to add a little more cheese, just because… and then bake uncovered a few minutes more. E-A-S-Y!!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s an “idea”. It’s a great starting point and you can add any ingredients you love. Add more cheese, maybe cooked chicken, any other favorite vegetables. This Baked Quinoa with Spinach, Red Peppers and Cheese is a flavorful healthy, low carb, vegetarian meal that was easy to make and enjoyed by every member of my family. It’s also gluten free and wheat free.
Baked Quinoa With Spinach, Red Peppers and Cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 10 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups Asiago cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13-inch x 9-inch glass or metal baking dish with butter; set aside.
- Put the quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse with cold running water; drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir in spinach, red peppers, quinoa and 1 cup of the Asiago cheese.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil then jiggle dish gently from side to side so that the quinoa settles on the bottom in an even layer.
- Bake until just set, about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Asiago cheese and all of the Parmesan cheese evenly over the top.
- Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 10 minutes more.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then slice and serve.