This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If you love loaded baked potatoes, you’ll love this Loaded Potato Casserole – This super rich and creamy casserole is perfect to bring to a potluck or share with family and friends.
Months ago, I posted the recipe for a Twice Baked Potato Casserole but this time I made it differently and I (we) all loved the way this recipe came together and tasted. Both recipes are wonderful, but this particular time I cooked gold potatoes in milk and cream on the stove instead of using baking potatoes and baking them in the oven. Cooking the potatoes in milk and cream make the potatoes extra creamy and I think it makes the dish easier to prepare. I also love the creamy, buttery flavor of gold potatoes too.
And talk about a loaded potato! A pound of crispy bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream; it’s all there! Better than a baked potato, that’s for sure.
This recipe makes a lot so it’s great to take to a potluck or to prepare when you’re having friends over, but you certainly don’t have to wait for an occasion to make it, the leftovers are so good the next day!
To begin, scrub the gold potatoes, cut them into fourths and place them in a large pot.
Pour milk and cream over the potatoes and toss in some garlic and dried rosemary, then slowly bring it to a boil.
Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
Using either an immersion blender or a potato masher, mash the potatoes right in the pot.
Look how creamy! The potatoes are mashed right in with the milk, cream and garlic. I love to leave little pieces of the potato not mashed.
Stir in the cooked, crumbled bacon, sour cream and eggs.
Finally, stir in the cheese and pour it all into a buttered baking dish. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
I love how the sides of the casserole form a “crust” when it bakes.
That’s all there is to to it!
Better than a baked potato, you’ve got all the fabulous ingredients found in twice baked potatoes inside this loaded potato casserole. It’s our family’s favorite and I know you’ll love it too.
Loaded Potato Casserole
- 8 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed, quartered and unpeeled
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and gently smashed
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add the potatoes, cream, milk, garlic and rosemary into a large saucepan and gently boil for 15 minutes until potatoes are just tender and the tip of a paring knife goes through with a little resistance.
- Remove from the heat and mash the potatoes with the liquid until smooth and creamy.
- Add the sour cream, the stick of butter, salt and pepper and mix together well.
- Stir in the eggs, 3 cups of the cheese and cooked bacon.
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish. Place the potato mixture in the prepared casserole and top with the remaining cup of shredded cheese. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly around the edges and heated through.
- Serve hot.