This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
I was feeling a bit under the weather last week and felt that my body was craving lots of fresh garlic, onions and other healthy immune boosting vegetables. I simply wanted to curl up on the sofa, wrap myself up in a soft, furry blanket, and enjoy sipping on a hot and hearty bowl of soup. It’s amazing that when your body begins to feel run down, it seems to tell you what nutrients you lack and what you need to recharge.
Well, what began as a recipe for soup ended up becoming a hearty stew packed with chunks of fresh vegetables.
I made a healthy and robust Lentil and Kale Stew which was packed with not only garlic and onions, but chopped carrots, celery, kale and white northern beans. Boy, was it good! I put in four large cloves of garlic, but that might be a bit much for your tastes. Please don’t feel you need to add that much garlic. Two cloves would be perfect! I’m just a garlic lover and wanted the immune boosting effects of the garlic.
I topped each bowl of soup with some chopped fresh parsley and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Lentil and Kale Stew
- 1 pound green lentils
- 2 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery washed and chopped
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 ounces kale washed and thinly sliced
- 14 ounces white northern beans 1 can 12 - 15 ounces drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- parmesan cheese freshly grated
- RInse and sort lentils.
- Place the lentils in a large pot and cover with water; add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In the same pot, heat the olive oil on a medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook and stir for a minute more. Stir in the kale and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken broth, lentils and salt. Bring to a boil; lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add parsley and black pepper. Season to taste. Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.