Look at the gorgeous green color of this kale hummus…
Isn’t it pretty? Hummus is a favorite food at our house and we enjoy eating all types. A few of our favorites are our Black Bean Hummus and Edamame Hummus. All three are so flavorful and easy to make. However, while in the store the other day, the kale I noticed in the produce section of the store I was shopping in looked so fresh and appealing, I thought I might try to put together a kale hummus recipe. Kale is quite a “superfood”. It’s nutrient rich, low in calories, extremely good for you and above all else, kale tastes great. This led me to suspect kale hummus would indeed be worth a try.
I began by cutting off the thick stalks of the kale, discarding them and cooking the kale leaves in boiling water for just a few minutes. After I removed the pot from the stove, I drained the kale and ran cold water over it. After the kale cooled, I squeezed out all the excess water and placed the cooked kale into my food processor. From there, I added a can of garbanzo beans, tahini, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, white wine vinegar and cumin. I pulsed the food processor several times and voila, kale hummus.
Kale hummus is a wonderful way to boost your intake of dark leafy greens. It’s absolutely delicious, so very good for you and is beautiful to serve. Serve it up with pita chips, baby carrots or spread on sandwiches and enjoy!
Kale hummus is a wonderful way to boost your intake of dark leafy greens. It's absolutely delicious, so very good for you and is beautiful to serve.
- 1 cup fresh kale, stems trimmed
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Cook the kale in boiling water for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain in a colander. Run cold water over the kale until it's cool and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the kale in a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Add additional olive oil to the hummus 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.
- Serve with baby carrots or pita chips
Recipes you might also like: