With the start of a brand new year, eating healthy is at the forefront of my mind. Generally speaking, my family and I eat fairly well. Lots of quinoa recipes, like this Chicken and Quinoa Salad, and vegetarian meals such as our Potato with Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Crustless Quiche make their appearances on our dinner table quite often. But as frequently happens in January, I begin to feel the guilt of consuming so many extra calories over the holidays.
I’ve been doing my share of cooking healthy snacks and treats for sure. My kids have loved the Chocolate Almond Butter I made recently and we all feel good about eating my energy Bars, but I’m pretty sure they’ll be asking for this Chocolate Cake dessert very, very soon. It’s all about balance, right?
In the meantime, we’ve been enjoying these Gluten-Free Coconut Cashew Cookies and I think we will continue to do so throughout the year. They take very little time to make and taste so good. There’s no flour in these moist and satisfying cookies – just simple ingredients which yield a very big taste.
Cashews, unsweetened coconut, ground flaxseed, honey, an egg, vanilla and raisins are the only ingredients found in these cookies.
Clean and simple.
Start by grinding up raw cashews, coconut and the flaxseed in a food processor.
Transfer the cashew mixture to a large bowl and mix in honey and an egg.
Fold in the raisins and bake the cookies for about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
These coconut cashew cookies aren’t overly sweet. The natural sweetness of the raisins, the buttery cashews and the honey provide the perfect amount of sweetness.
So, if you happen to be looking for a shot of pure, unadulterated sugar, you”ll probably want to pass on these cookies. However, if you’d like to indulge without the guilt or if you’re looking for a gluten-free cookie option, these are for you. These cookies are more on the cake-y side than the crispy side which make them ideal for dipping in milk or to go along with a cup of hot tea.
Gluten Free Coconut Cashew Cookies
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cashews,coconut and flaxseed in a food processor and pulse until they are coarse and crumbly.
- Pour the cashew mixture into a large bowl and stir in the honey, egg and vanilla.
- Add the raisins and stir well.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop the cookie "dough" by tablespoons and place on the cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between each cookie to allow for spreading while baking. Gently press down on each cookie slightly to flatten them a tiny bit.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and after a minute, remove cookies from the cookie sheet and place on a cooling rack to cool completely.