Creamy Loaded Potato Soup – hot, hearty and comforting. Loaded with spicy pork sausage, creamy potatoes and sharp cheddar cheese.
I have a confession to make. I’ve never been a huge potato soup fan. I think it’s because each time I order potato soup out at a restaurant, either it’s too bland, too thin or too pasty thick. Well, I’ve stumbled upon what I think is perhaps the best tasting potato soup recipe there is and boy-oh-boy, is it loaded with goodness.
You see, this is what happens when I’m left with three-quarters of a bag of potatoes left over from Thanksgiving dinner. After I used several potatoes for mashed potatoes and for my son’s favorite loaded potato casserole, I found myself dreaming up ways to use up the rest. Lo and behold…loaded potato soup.
I call this soup loaded because it truly is “loaded” with so many great flavors…spicy sausage, onions, celery, carrots and fresh sage. It’s all cooked down and simmered in chicken broth. Then, blended with milk and cream and a handful of sharp cheddar cheese.
I could have used bacon in this recipe but I love the flavor of the sausage. It’s different and it gives the soup a nice spicy touch. The cheese melts into the soup and makes it extra creamy and comforting.
Other recipes you might like…
Creamy Loaded Potato Soup - hot, hearty and comforting. Loaded with spicy pork sausage, creamy potatoes and sharp cheddar cheese.
- 1 pound pork sausage
- 1 whole medium onion , diced
- 3 carrots , chopped
- 3 stalks celery , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage , chopped
- 7 cups whole small Russet Potatoes , peeled and diced (about 8 diced)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- scallions , sliced (for garnish)
- Cook the sausage in a large pot over medium heat until browned. Remove the cooked sausage from the pot and place on a large plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the oil.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat and add the onions, carots and celery. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sage and cook and stir a minute more.
- Add the diced potatoes to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour in the broth and bring it to a gentle boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are beginning to get tender. In a small bowl, whisk the flour and milk together. Pour into the soup and allow the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
- using a hand blender, puree the soup in the pot until mostly smooth, leaving just a few chunks of potatoes *See notes.
- Stir in the cream, the cooked sausage and the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with additional shredded cheese and scallions.
*If you don't have a hand blender, you can puree the soup in batches in a blender. Remove a little more than half of the soup and blend in a blender until completely smooth. Pour it back into the soup pot and stir to combine.