Monday morning, I sat with my daughter at the breakfast table and began to make out my weekly grocery list. I asked her what she’d like for dinner this week, and she quickly replied, “Please make Broccoli Cheddar Soup, you haven’t made it in forever“. She’s right about that, it had been awhile since I’d made this family favorite recipe.
This broccoli cheddar soup recipe has been in my recipe files for years. It’s a recipe that is slightly adapted from Rachel Ray’s Cheddar Soup with Crispy Tortilla Crunch. I’ve made her cheddar soup recipe many, many times and my family loves it. One day, several years ago, I decided on a whim to add a little broccoli to the soup. It was a huge hit and now, that’s the only way I make this soup. The broccoli is a great addition and I love that my kids get a healthy vegetable with their dinner. This creamy, savory soup is so easy to put together and it’s enticing aroma brings everyone into the kitchen ready and anxious to eat.
This soup is so pretty to make around the holidays, too. The green broccoli alongside the red peppers add a lovely holiday color. This soup, served alongside a plate of warm Cranberry Pecan Cornbread Muffins made a perfect weeknight meal.
This creamy broccoli cheddar soup is so easy to put together and it's enticing aroma brings everyone into the kitchen ready and anxious to eat.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups blanched broccoli florets
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add the oil.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Stir in the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth.
- Stir in the cream.
- Bring soup to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the cheese, chili powder and cumin.
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked broccoli.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips