This creamy, savory soup is so easy to put together and it's enticing aroma brings everyone into the kitchen ready and anxious to eat.
This soup is so pretty to make around the holidays, too. The green broccoli alongside the red peppers add a lovely holiday color. This soup, served alongside a plate of warm Cranberry Pecan Cornbread Muffins made a perfect weeknight meal.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups blanched broccoli florets
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add the oil.
- Add the onions and peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Stir in the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth.
- Stir in the cream.
- Bring soup to a bubble, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the cheese, chili powder and cumin.
- Simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked broccoli.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.