I know what you’re thinking. Two recipes that call for oranges posted here on the blog in the span of a few days, c’mon. Indulge me for a moment, my friends, because once you take a look at this recipe you’ll instantly thank me. Right? You’re welcome.
I seem to be craving oranges these days and the last time I did that, well… let me just say it was twelve years ago and she just had a birthday. Seriously, that is not the case for me this time…I can assure you!
The recipe I have for you today is for these decadent Dark Chocolate Orange Scones. They are truly wonderful!
I woke up the other morning with a desire to do a little early morning baking. My kids were asleep upstairs and I thought I would wake them up with the wonderful aroma of goodies baking in the oven. They love it when I do that! And since I don’t make breakfast very often during the school year, except on the weekends (we’re cereal folks Monday through Friday around here), I thought I’d throw them off a bit.
I love the flavor combination of chocolate and oranges, especially dark chocolate. The flavors go well together and and in these scones, they are fabulous! These Dark Chocolate Orange Scones are perfect to wake up to and are a delightful mid morning treat with a nice cup of tea.
Other recipes you might like:
Strawberry Lime Scones
Grapefruit Cornmeal Cookies
Orange Risotto with Shrimp
Carrot Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Icing
Strawberry and White Chocolate Muffins with Streusel Topping
Dark Chocolate Orange Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- zest from 1 large orange (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- zest from 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, cinnamon and orange zest.
- Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Whisk the milk and egg together and pour the mixture into the mixing bowl.
- Stir until just combined. It helps to use your hands and knead it lightly.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Pat the dough into and 8-inch circle.
- Cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice until smooth. The glaze should have enough liquid in it to drizzle onto the scones so add a little more orange juice if needed.
- Drizzle over the scones.
TIP: If you have a food processor, place the dry ingredients and orange zest into the base. Pulse a few times. Add the chopped butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Turn out onto your floured work surface and continue with the rest of the instructions.
Tags: scones, oranges, chocolate, breakfast