One of my family’s favorite spring desserts – naturally sweet crushed pineapple, mandarin oranges and sliced bananas piled high on a lightly sweetened cream cheese topped shortbread cookie. This Pineapple Shortbread Pizza will surely be a favorite in your home too…..
Well, I guess I can finally say Spring has arrived. We’ve had two weeks of near perfect weather and I’m totally taking it. Can you believe, just one week until Easter? Have you got your Easter menu planned? I confess I haven’t even started to think that far ahead but I am planning fun springtime desserts that incorporate fruit as the main ingredient. Take this springtime fruit pizza for instance, it’s a fun recipe to serve up for Easter or anytime really.
It’s pretty isn’t it? I love the colors.
This sunny Pineapple Shortbread Pizza is a fun little dessert that’s easy to make and tastes great too. I made a sugar cookie-ish dough which to me, resembles shortbread and I spread it out onto a circular pizza pan and baked it in the oven for a few minutes. Then, I mixed up a light cream cheese “frosting” and topped the cooled cookie pizza with it. Finally, I topped the cream cheese with a can of drained crushed pineapple, fresh mandarin orange sections and sliced bananas. My daughter added a touch of silver sprinkles too. You could substitute any fruits you love for the ones I used. Strawberries and blueberries would be nice, especially around the Fourth of July. Use what you like.
You can also use a 9 x 13 baking pan for this recipe. Either way, it all tastes great!
Thank you for reading! Are you following me on Instagram and Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest? Please keep in touch and if you’d like to receive updates and unique subscriber content via email, please subscribe to ZagLeft.
Pineapple Shortbread Pizza
FOR THE COOKIES
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
FOR THE FROSTING
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar sifted
FOR THE FRUIT TOPPING
- 20 ounces crushed pineapple can of pineapples drained
- 2 bananas sliced
- 3 mandarins peeled and separated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk together to blend.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium high speed, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and add in the dry ingredients a little at a time and mixing just until incorporated.
- Press the dough onto round pizza pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until set.
- Let cool slightly and meanwhile make the cream cheese topping.
- In a medium bowl or in the mixer, blend together the cream cheese and the confectioners' sugar until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread over the top of the cookie.
- Top the pizza with the fruit.
- Slice and serve immediately.