This Limoncello Cake with Limoncello Glaze is one of my favorite cakes! Made with store bought or homemade limoncello.
My husband has an interesting hobby other than exploring great wines…
He makes his own Limoncello. Limoncello is an Italian liqueur made with the zest of lemons and is deliciously sweet. My husband was traveling on a business trip to Italy many years ago and had dinner with about eight other people from work at a quaint restaurant in the Italian countryside. After they all finished dinner, their host placed a large pitcher of this beautiful, yellow beverage in the center of the table. Needless to say, they all enjoyed it tremendously and my husband asked his host about it. The owner of the restaurant, an elderly lady came out of the kitchen, sat down with my husband, explained the drink and and wrote out the recipe for him. That is where my husband’s limoncello “hobby” began.
So, now I’ve got limoncello, in all it’s various stages of production all over my house. With that said, I’m taking it upon myself to help my husband “unload” some of his work, convincing him that it’s all to help him make room for more!
I’ve been working on various recipes to use the limoncello in. This Limoncello Cake with Limoncello Glaze is the first of many, I assure you.
Let me start off by saying that this Limoncello cake turned out really, really good. I baked it in a bread loaf pan but even a small cake pan (8×8 size) would be a perfect size for baking. The texture was quite like a pound cake, and was so moist with just the right amount of sweetness.
For the glaze, I combined limoncello and powdered sugar. And yes, the glaze certainly had a “punch” to it. If you want to make it “kid-friendly”, use lemon juice instead.
Moist Limoncello Cake with Limoncello Glaze
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup butter , melted
- 4 Tablespoons Limoncello (or use lemon juice if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoon Limoncello or Lemon Juice (to achieve desired consistency adjust as necessary)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a loaf pan or 8x8 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt, butter, limoncello, vanilla and lemon zest. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients a little at a time, stirring constantly just until incorporated. Don't overmix.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center is clean and the top of the cake is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and the limoncello or lemon juice in a bowl until smooth.
- Remove the cake from the pan by inverting the pan. Turn the cake over and drizzle the glaze over the cake.
Other recipes you might like…