It’s grilling time and this Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Salad is a perfect choice for the grill. Yes, Spring is here and we’ve been enjoying absolutely glorious weather in Houston. We only get about eight weeks of perfect temperatures. By that I mean, in early June, our average temperature will be in the mid-90’s with plenty of humidity and the only place where it will be comfortable is in a pool. For now, I’m completely thankful for breezy days where I can bring my work outside and enjoy the fresh air. I’ve also cranked up the grill and we’ve been able to enjoy many of our dinners outside.
This recipe for Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Salad was inspired by a salad that I wrote about a while ago. I updated the recipe to call for more shrimp and I adjusted the ingredient list and measurements slightly.
This time of year I seem to crave salads. I’ve always enjoyed them as a lunch option however, I find I’m making salads more frequently for dinner. No one on this end is complaining, that’s for sure. Especially when the salads are topped with tantalizingly delicious and appealing ingredients. Grilled shrimp happens to be a perfect topping for a salad. I love the taste of shrimp when it’s cooked on the grill, especially when it’s been “swimming” in a light and flavorful lemon marinade.
This is a very simple salad, really. Lettuce, tomatoes and red onions tossed in a lemon-dijon vinaigrette and topped with grilled shrimp and slices of avocados. It’s also a recipe that you could easily add your favorite toppings and other favorite vegetables to.
This grilled shrimp and avocado salad is light and delicious and a perfect salad for dinner. The vinaigrette is low in calories and perfect if you’re watching your intake.
You might also like…
Grilled Shrimp and Avocado Salad – Summertime dinner
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- lettuce of your choice (I used a mixture of arugula and baby spinach)
- pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- Prepare the marinade by whisking all the ingredients in a bowl. Pour over shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Prepare the grill or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the shrimp until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Prepare the salad dressing by whisking the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado slices and red onion in a serving bowl and pour the dressing over the top. Toss the salad and top with grilled shrimp.