When the kids are home for summer break, one thing I can always count on is getting help in the kitchen. Not necessarily help with cleaning the kitchen, unless of course, I dangle the opportunity for dessert to follow. Mostly the “help” I receive is from my twelve year old, Colleen, who loves to help me come up with recipe ideas, usually in the dessert form. Our ideas frequently are inspired from what we have available in our pantry. These little dessert bites are totally Colleen’s, and they’re wonderful. She named them Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Crunchies.
These sweet and crunchy morsels are a breeze to make. We combined a few simple ingredients; peanut butter, honey, vanilla and a touch of cinnamon in a bowl over a pot of simmering water to make all of the ingredients smooth. Then we stirred in the chocolate chips and crispy rice cereal, rolled them into little balls and popped them in the freezer to set up. Boy, were they ever good!!
You could certainly make them “healthier” by substituting almond butter, coconut oil and carob chips or even try adding dried fruit to the mix. But for today, we made them with the ingredients we had on hand and they were perfect. Rich chocolate and creamy peanut butter are a winning combination and the crispy rice cereal gives these Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Crunchies the perfect bite size crunch.
Other recipes you might like…
Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Crunchies
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3 cups crispy rice cereal , any variety (we used Rice Krispies)
- Mix the peanut butter, honey, vanilla and cinnamon in a glass bowl.
- Set the bowl over a pot of boiling water to let the mixture become warm, creamy and soft enough to stir. Make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water.
- When the mixture is smooth and creamy, remove the bowl from the pot. Stir in the chocolate chips and the crispy rice cereal.
- Roll the mixture into small balls and set them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- These treats can be stored in the refrigerator or the freezer.