Last Updated on
Lovely and sweet Chocolate Covered Date Truffles, a healthy way to satisfy a sweet tooth…
Yet they most certainly are!
I’ve taken the ingredients found in my tasty 3-Ingredient Date bars, rolled them into bite-sized nuggets and then dipped them in melted dark chocolate.
I call them, Chocolate Covered Date Truffles.
I make date bars on a fairly regular basis at my house. Date bars are sweet, easy to make and completely healthy too. The only ingredients are dates, cashews and unsweetened coconut tossed into my food processor and ground together.
For Date Truffles, instead of pouring the date/cashew mixture into a long pan as I normally do, I use a tablespoon and scoop out just a bit, roll it in the palm of my hand and then swirl each little nugget in melted dark chocolate.
Although I dip my nuggets into dark chocolate, you certainly don’t have to. Consider rolling them in sunflower seeds, shredded coconut or cocoa powder.
However, if you choose to dip them into melted chocolate, you can then decorate the date nuggets with all sorts of fun flavors. This is the part where you can be creative, maybe crushed pistachios, shredded coconut or if you’re not steering clear of sugar, how about colorful sprinkles or crushed Oreos? I just might be trying that one!
You would most definitely “wow” your family and make them think you worked long and hard in the kitchen preparing such a labor-intensive treat for them…all the while, you know better…
I would recommend keeping these chocolate covered date truffles in the refrigerator so the chocolate stays cool and hard. They keep well for about a week, if they last that long.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram? We’d love to connect, drop by and say hello! If you’d like to read more from ZagLeft, be sure to subscribe to never miss a post!
As a gift to our readers, subscribers can receive a FREE copy of our eCookbook, College Meals – 30 Days of Recipes! It’s a great gift to give to any college student in your life or even to give to yourself!
Chocolate Covered Date Truffles
- 1 10- ounce package dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates packed (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Optional: extra shredded coconut sprinkles, crushed cookies, cocoa powder, crushed nuts
- Put the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan containing about 1-inch of barely simmering water (or use a double boiler). Stir with a spoon until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Combine the dates, cashews and coconut in a food processor. Pulse a few times to break the ingredients up.
- Process continuously for 20 seconds. Scrape the edges of the bowl to make sure none of the ingredients are sticking to the sides.
- Process again until a ball is formed, about 30 seconds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop date puree by the tablespoonful and roll into 1" balls. Insert a skewer or sharp knife into the ball and dip into the melted chocolate, making sure the entire ball is covered.
- Place on the parchment paper.
- Sprinkle toppings over date truffles, if desired.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes until hardened.
Other recipes you might enjoy…