I’m on vacation in beautiful Estes Park, Colorado with my family this week, but before I left, I made this tasty Chicken and Quinoa Salad that was a huge hit. I’ll be filling you in on the highlights of our trip on other posts but we’ve been enjoying hiking in the majestic Rocky Mountains and seeing some wildlife which has been so much fun. Hope you enjoy the salad!
It’s no secret that I love quinoa. It’s a perfect base to add flavors to and quinoa is ideal as a main ingredient for a salad. With the intense heat we’ve had already here in Houston, cool salads are wonderful dinner ideas. Can you believe the other day we hit 108 degrees! It’s not even mid-July yet! Yikes!!
Unless I’m in the pool, the heat tends to make me tired and at the end of a long day, I want to make a quick, easy dinner that’s nutritious and delicious too. This recipe for Chicken and Quinoa Salad certainly fits the bill.
This quinoa salad is loaded with crunchy, flavorful vegetables such as, red onions, sweet cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and jalapeno peppers and mixed with a white wine vinaigrette. I topped the salad with several strips of warm grilled chicken. It’s a salad everyone in my family enjoys. It’s light, full of flavor and a lovely summertime meal.
EJ loves Salsa Verde and added a little bit to his plate. Salsa Verde is a spicy and tangy Mexican green salsa made with tomatillos, onion, peppers, lime juice and cilantro. There are several brands we love and I usually keep a jar of it in my refrigerator. The salsa was a great call because it added a wonderful spicy flavor to the salad. Not necessary, but if you like a little more “spice”, give it a try. We also added a handful of toasted almonds for some added crunch.
This Chicken and Quinoa Salad would be a great dish to bring to a pot luck or to take to a party. It’s a dish we’ll certainly enjoy often on these hot, summer evenings.
Other recipes you might like…
Chicken And Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups quinoa, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cooked
- Salsa Verde (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds (optional)
- Place the cooked quinoa in a large bowl. Add to the bowl, the tarragon, parsley, red onion, tomatoes, pepper and cucumber. Toss to mix the ingredients together.
- In a small bowl, whisk the white wine vinegar and olive oil together. Pour over the salad.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with slices of chicken.
- Serve with Salsa Verde and top with toasted almonds, if desired.