Sweet Potato Biscotti – perfect for dunking. They’re sightly sweet and crunchy and I love how they “melt” when I dip them in my coffee.
I have a secret…
Every day, around two o’clock, I stop what I’m doing and have what I call, a little “me time”. Believe me, I never used to do this. I would feel such guilt if I wasn’t working or doing something constructive. I can be quite the workaholic. But, I’ve noticed that when I don’t take any time for myself, I get a little hard to live with… at least that’s what I’m told.
Two o’clock is the perfect time for me because it’s right before I leave to pick up my kids from school. Once school ends, my day really starts! From ballet lessons to sports practices, our afternoons can be pretty busy. I’m sure many of you can relate! Having those few moments of quiet to myself is almost a necessity.
My “me time” ritual consists of making a fresh cup of coffee or tea and indulging in a little something sweet. These pretty Sweet Potato Biscotti that I made the other day were perfect for dunking into my cup of coffee. They’re sightly sweet and crunchy and I love how they “melt” when I dip them in my coffee.
I came across a recipe from the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission for Sweet Potato Biscotti that I thought I’d try. I modified the recipe slightly by not adding shredded coconut or walnuts. Instead, I decided to add butterscotch chips and pecans to the batter and wow…they were amazing! Sweet and slightly crunchy and packed with pecans, they were indeed a treat!
The biscotti keeps nicely in a closed cookie jar on my counter. These would make a very nice gift for the holidays packaged in a pretty jar or tin and since they’re so easy to make, I might just keep my own cookie jar filled.
To make the biscotti, first beat together the sugar and butter.
Add the eggs.
Add the four, baking powder, orange zest and salt to the bowl and mix.
Chop up the cooked sweet potato into small diced pieces.
Fold in the sweet potato, butterscotch chips and pecans.
Divide the dough into two equal pieces and shape them into logs.
Bake until golden.
Slice the logs and bake them again until they’re crisp and lightly browned.
Sweet Potato Biscotti With Butterscotch And Pecans
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter , softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sweet potato , cooked, cut into small cubes (1 medium sweet potato)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup pecans , chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the sugar and butter.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, orange zest and salt to the mixing bowl and beat on low speed until combined.
- Fold in the sweet potato, butterscotch chips and chopped pecans.
- DIvide the dough into two equal pieces.
- With oiled hands, shape each piece into logs about 2 inches by 11 inches.
- Place both logs on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until firm and golden.
- Let the logs rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Trim a thin slice from each end of the logs and set aside.
- Cut logs into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place the slices on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes; turn them over and bake until crisp, 10 minutes longer.
- Cool completely.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following us on Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram? We’d love to connect, drop by and say hello! If you’d like to read more from ZagLeft, be sure to subscribe to never miss a post!
As a gift to our readers, subscribers can receive our free eCookbook.