Double Chocolate Caramelized Banana Cream Pie – a chocolate graham cracker crust topped with a layer of rich chocolate ganache, topped with sweet caramelized bananas, chocolate pudding and whipped cream. A chocolate lover’s dream!
I’ve always loved a rich and creamy Banana Cream Pie. I think it’s because creamy pies were a favorite dessert at my house growing up. My mom’s Banana Cream Pie was the simplest dessert to make and it tasted great too. She lined a pie dish with Vanilla Wafers, chopped up a few bananas, made instant vanilla pudding and poured it over the bananas. The dessert was ready soon after it was made and we could enjoy it right away. Nothing glamorous or homemade but we loved it.
I woke up one morning last week thinking about making a Banana Cream Pie but I wanted to do something totally different. I wanted the ease of my mother’s Banana Cream Pie but I wanted to elevate the flavors. I wanted to make a creamy pie filled with bananas but I also wanted to incorporate chocolate into the recipe.
I put a great deal of thought into how I was going to integrate all the ingredients I wanted into this pie, and by the end of the day, success came in the form of this Double Chocolate Caramelized Banana Cream Pie.
Chocolate pies and Banana Cream pies seem to be the exact opposite of each other, but combining the two flavors is really a great idea. In my opinion, chocolate pairs well with pretty much everything and bananas and chocolate are totally perfect together.
This rich and creamy pie does involve quite a few steps – but don’t worry. Every step is an easy one.
I’ll walk you through the process…
Begin by making a quick chocolate graham cracker crust. To make the crust, place 16 graham cracker sheets, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/3 cup butter that has been melted in a food processor. Process until the mixture is well blended and you have fine crumbs.
Press the crumbs into a pie plate and bake the crust in a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.
Next step is to make the chocolate ganache. Chocolate ganache is very easy to make. Just pour cream into a small saucepan and place it over a medium-low heat for a few minutes. When the cream gets hot (not boiling or simmering), remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate. The chocolate will melt and distribute through the cream.
Pour the chocolate ganache into the bottom of the graham cracker pie shell.
The next step is to caramelize the bananas. Caramelized bananas are quite a treat. The banana slices are heated in a pan with a little butter, brown sugar and a dash of vanilla extract. The bananas soften and the brown sugar and butter create a luscious creamy sauce.
Pour the caramelized bananas over the chocolate ganache.
For the sake of convenience, I made instant chocolate pudding and poured it over the caramelized bananas. If you want to make your own chocolate pudding, I like this recipe best. But you really don’t have to make your own, the instant works just fine.
Chill the pie in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. After the pudding in the pie has set, top it with whipped cream (see recipe notes if you want to make your own). I used a little of the chocolate ganache that I saved to swirl into the whipped cream.
This Double Chocolate Caramelized Banana Cream pie is so rich and flavorful! Cooling the pie in the refrigerator makes the layer of chocolate ganache thick and fudge-like. The chocolate flavor is intensified when the chocolate crust and the chocolate fudge are eaten together.
Everything works well together – the bananas, the chocolate, the creamy topping. A truly delicious dessert!
Double Chocolate Caramelized Banana Cream Pie
- FOR THE CRUST
- 16 pieces whole Chocolate Graham Crackers the 4-section large
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Butter melted
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- 2 cups chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- FOR THE CARAMELIZED BANANAS
- 3 Bananas sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE PUDDING
- 1 ounce Package Jell-O Brand Chocolate Pudding 1.4-, Sugar-Free or Regular
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- TO MAKE THE CRUST
- Crush graham crackers in a food processor or Ziplock bag. Pour them into a bowl and stir in sugar and melted butter. Press into a pie pan and bake for 5 minutes or until set. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- TO MAKE THE GANACHE
- Pour the cream into a small saucepan and place it over a medium-low heat for a few minutes. Keep an eye on the cream, you don't want it to boil or simmer. It only needs to get hot. Remove the pan from the stove and add the chopped chocolate to the pan. Stir gently to distribute the chocolate through the cream and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the chocolate to continue to soften and melt.
- FOR THE CARAMELIZED BANANAS
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Add the brown sugar and the bananas. Cook until golden and syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- FOR THE PUDDING
- Pour the pudding mix in a large bowl. Add the milk and whip for about 2 minutes until thickened.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE PIE
- Pour the chocolate ganache into the pie shell.
- Top with the caramelized bananas.
- Add the pudding.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- TO MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM
- Pour the whipping cream into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar.
- Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Add to the top of pie.
Other recipes you might enjoy…