A light and creamy "Instant" Lemon Pudding made with tofu. Just a few ingredients needed. No cholesterol, vegan and dairy free.
This Dairy Free Instant lemon pudding is the creamiest pudding I've made in a long time and I know you're going to love it! I'm pretty convinced that the ultra creamy texture comes from the tofu.
Yes, friends...I said tofu...
Although tofu makes it's way into many of our dinner meals, it's never made an appearance in one of my dessert recipes until now!
Why This Recipe Works
- This pudding is unbelievably easy to make!
- With this pudding recipe, you won't find any artificial thickeners or flavorings - just real ingredients.
- The rich, wonderfully sweet taste of the lemon pudding will take your tastebuds by surprise!
- Here's the thing you should know, this pudding won't taste like a lemon pudding that's made with milk or cream, because it isn't. Because it's made with tofu, it will have a slightly different taste.
- You could eat it as soon as you make it or you can refrigerate it for 30 minutes or so. Those 30 minutes are all the time you need to whip up a bowl of dairy-free whipped topping!
See recipe box below for ingredient amounts and full recipe instructions.
- Tofu: Tofu is naturally gluten-free, is low in calories, and contains no cholesterol. It's loaded with protein, high in iron and an excellent source of calcium too.
- Agave, a pinch of salt, lemon zest, and vanilla extract: For flavor.
- Lemon juice: The acid causes the cream to thicken.
- Milk: I use soy milk to keep this recipe dairy free. Feel free to use almond, coconut, or any percentage cow's milk.
How To Make This Recipe
For The Pudding
- Press the water out of the tofu.
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, salt, agave, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
- Divide the mixture amount 4 small bowls and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For The Topping
- Blend the ingredients together in a food processor or until smooth.
- Spoon over pudding.
- Although I used agave to sweeten the pudding, through testing I discovered that you can use almost any other sweetener. I also tested the recipe with granulated sugar, powdered sugar and honey. I thought the consistency of the pudding made with agave was slightly smoother than the others and my taste testers preferred it.
- You can use another type of citrus in this recipe. Orange, grapefruit, or lime would work the same way.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Press Water Out Of Tofu?
Tofu has a soft texture and is watery. You can press the water out of the tofu by either using a tofu press or by slicing the tofu and placing the slices of tofu on a few layers of paper towels. Top the tofu with another layer of paper towels and place a dishtowel on top of that. Set a heavy object on top of the tofu, such as a plate or a book on the dishtowel. Leave it alone for at least 10 minutes or even an hour. (If you leave it longer than 10 minutes, put the tofu in the refrigerator).
A tofu press gently presses much of the water out of the tofu so it's easier to grill, cook and make pudding with.
How Do You Store Lemon Pudding?
After you make the pudding, be sure to refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes or until it has chilled. It will keep well in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Dairy Free Instant Lemon Pudding
DAIRY FREE LEMON PUDDING
- 1 package firm tofu
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
DAIRY FREE WHIPPED TOPPING
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1/2 cup Agave , honey or powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FOR THE PUDDING
- Press the water out of the tofu by either using a tofu press or by slicing the tofu and placing the slices of tofu on a few layers of paper towels. Top the tofu with another layer of paper towels and place a dishtowel on top of that. Set a heavy object on top of the tofu, such as a plate or a book on the dishtowel. Leave it alone for at least 10 minutes or even an hour. (If you leave it for longer than 10 minutes, put the tofu in the refrigerator).
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, salt, agave, lemon zest and lemon juice and blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
- Divide the mixture among four small bowls and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- FOR THE TOPPING
- Blend the ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Spoon over pudding.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.