A light and creamy “Instant” Lemon Pudding made with tofu. Just a few ingredients needed. No cholesterol, vegan and dairy free.
This Dairy Free Instant lemon pudding is the creamiest pudding I’ve made in a long time and I know you’re going to love it! I’m pretty convinced that the ultra creamy texture comes from the tofu.
I said tofu…
Since when do I cook with tofu, you ask? Actually, more often than you might think. When my son was in high school, he became a vegetarian. Because of this, I needed to look for healthy meat alternatives and tofu is actually a wonderful replacement for meat. Tofu is naturally gluten-free, is low in calories and contains no cholesterol. It’s loaded with protein, high in iron and an excellent source of calcium too.
Although tofu makes it’s way into many of our dinner meals, it’s never made an appearance in one of my dessert recipes…
Dairy Free Instant Lemon Pudding Recipe
This pudding is unbelievably easy to make. I add all of the ingredients to my food processor and in seconds, a sweet and creamy lemon pudding. You could eat it as soon as you make it or you can refrigerate it for 30 minutes or so. Those 30 minutes are all the time you need to whip up a bowl of dairy-free whipped topping…with tofu instead of cream!
Have you seen one of these contraptions? It’s a tofu press and I didn’t realize I needed one until I got one. If you use tofu often in recipes, a tofu press is life-changing!
After I press the water out of the tofu, I place the tofu, lemon zest, lemon juice, agave and vanilla in the food processor…
The food processor creams all of the ingredients together and delivers a light, healthy, sweet and absolutely delicious treat. The pudding has a silky, melt-in-your-mouth texture that my family loved.
Although I used agave to sweeten the pudding, through testing I discovered that you can use almost any other sweetener. I also tested the recipe with granulated sugar, powdered sugar and honey. I thought the consistency of the pudding made with agave was slightly smoother than the others and my taste testers preferred it.
This lemon pudding has a wonderful lemon flavor which shines through. Here’s the thing you should know, this pudding won’t taste like a lemon pudding that’s made with milk or cream, because it isn’t. It’s made with tofu, and because of this it will have a slightly different taste. My family and I loved it though and found it to be a wonderful alternative for someone avoiding dairy.
As I mentioned above, I quickly whipped up a dairy-free whipped topping to spoon over the top and served it with candied lemon peels, fresh raspberries and mint.
A light, creamy and delicious Instant Lemon Pudding - no cholesterol, vegan and dairy free...
- 1 package firm tofu
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package firm tofu
- 1/2 cup Agave , honey or powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- FOR THE PUDDING
- Press the water out of the tofu by either using a tofu press or by slicing the tofu and placing the slices of tofu on a few layers of paper towels. Top the tofu with another layer of paper towels and place a dishtowel on top of that. Set a heavy object on top of the tofu, such as a plate or a book on the dishtowel. Leave it alone for at least 10 minutes or even an hour. (If you leave it for longer than 10 minutes, put the tofu in the refrigerator).
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, salt, agave, lemon zest and lemon juice and blend until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
- Divide the mixture among four small bowls and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- FOR THE TOPPING
- Blend the ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Spoon over pudding.
Other recipes you might enjoy…