As featured in Woman’s Day Magazine
A few weeks ago, I found a recipe that really caught my eye. It was for Mini Deep Dish Pizzas from Dashing Dish. She cut circles out of whole wheat wraps, placed them inside muffin tins, topped them with sauce, cheese and pepperoni and baked them. Brilliant!!
Inspired by her idea, I made these fun little Bean and Cheese Nacho Boats.
Using the top of my can of beans, I cut little circles out of the tortillas.
I pressed each tortilla circle into greased muffin tin. Then, I sauteed the black beans with chopped onions and garlic, cumin and coriander on the stove and spooned a bit of the bean mixture into each tortilla circle. Finally, I topped each one with a hefty sprinkling of cheddar cheese.
After these nacho boats baked, I added chopped tomatoes, cilantro, a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.
These bake up nice and crispy and each bite is bursting with flavor. Top them with any of your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Bean and Cheese Nacho Boats
- 4-5 large tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 26.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- sour cream
- guacamole (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray a 12 count muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Lay each tortilla out on a flat surface, use an empty can or cookie cutter to cut 3 medium sized circles out of each tortilla. Press firmly and use a twisting motion until the circle is cut through.
- Press each tortilla circle in the muffin tin using your fingers to make sure they are firmly in place.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan set to medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute more.
- Pour in the beans, cumin and coriander and cook for another 3 minutes stirring to make sure all the spices are mixed through.
- Remove pan from the heat.
- Spoon 1 or 2 large tablespoons of the black beans into each tortilla circle. Top with a handful of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the tortillas are lightly browned.
- When cool enough to handle, use a knife to loosen the edges. The nacho boats should pop right out of the pan.