I think Snickerdoodles are possibly the most overlooked cookie in the recipe books. It’s a shame, and I confess that even I don’t make them as often as I should. I tend to gravitate towards a simple sugar cookie or a cookie packed with chocolate chips and nuts. However, snickerdoodles are indeed special and they taste completely amazing! Every time I make snickerdoodles I wonder why I don’t make them more often. For this particular batch, I decided to add rich and creamy white chocolate chips to the batter. Why? Because I happen to feel that white chocolate chips in just about anything is a good idea. Plus, I added a half cup of cinnamon chips to intensify the cinnamon flavor. Oh yes…talk about heavenly!! These White Chocolate Snickerdoodles really are a spectacular treat.
Here’s a bit of snickerdoodle trivia…Did you know there are only two small differences between sugar cookies and snickerdoodles?
Sugar cookies are rolled in sugar (sometimes) and snickerdoodles are rolled in cinnamon sugar (most of the time).
Another difference is that snickerdoodles are made with cream of tartar and sugar cookies are not. Now, I know you’ll find a few recipes out there that don’t call for using cream of tartar, but I happen to think the cream of tartar adds a distinctive flavor to the cookies.
So if you like sugar cookies, then you’re going to absolutely love snickerdoodles.
This batch of White Chocolate Snickerdoodles all began with my desire to make a batch of “sweet somethings” for my kids one afternoon. It was a particularly crazy week with several tests and assignments due in school and I wanted to have a special treat for my son and daughter to come home to. I thought a sweet surprise would bring a smile to their tired faces, and indeed these cookies did just that.
The warm and creamy white chocolate pieces were in every bite of these White Chocolate Snickerdoodles and the hint of extra cinnamon was an added surprise. I loved the way they tasted with the crunchy cinnamon and sugar coating. They were nice and crispy around the edges and moist and chewy in the middle.
Make them. You’ll thank me for it.
You might also like…
White Chocolate Snickerdoodles
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup cinnamon chips
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a baking mat and put in refrigerator to chill.
- Whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar for about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla.
- Fold in the white chocolate and cinnamon chips.
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat.
- Place on chilled cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Chill the dough and cookie sheets between batches.
- Let the cookies rest on baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.