Of all the cookies in all the world, chocolate chip cookies are my favorite. A really great chocolate chip cookie needs to have crisp, buttery edges and a moist, chewy middle and these cookies are spot on.
Making chocolate chip cookies are in a way, therapy for me. The act of measuring, leveling flour and the process of mixing the ingredients together leaves me alone with my thoughts for a few minutes and often helps me put things into better perspective. Things around here have been different lately. I’ve had my two college aged kids move back home. One back for the summer, and the other will be living here until he finds a job. If you’re a parent of older kids, you know how challenging bringing a child back home can often be, especially after they’ve been away at school with different rules and curfews. Gosh, I love them so much and I’m so glad they’re back, but we’re dealing with the issues of freedom. EJ and I apparently aren’t giving enough and we kind of feel like we’re losing ours. Plus, we’re exhausted from the late nights of waiting up for them. I’m just a mom who can’t fall asleep at night until I hear that front door slam and I know they are home safe. I guess that has to change. We’re learning. Parenting any age is never always easy.
Anyway…I digress. Back to these fabulous cookies…
Just try them, you’ll love them! Moist, chewy, flavorful and yes…therapeutic.
If you’ve had college aged children move back home, how did you handle rules and curfews? I’m new at this part of parenting and would love to hear your advice and your comments.
To stay in touch, please leave a comment or consider subscribing to our blog for updates and our newsletter. Thanks!
The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and blend just until incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Drop by tablespoon onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Bake for 9 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.