I had you at bacon…right?
Yes, I know…me too! I happen to love the simple combination of bacon and creamy gorgonzola cheese in these delicious stuffed sweet potatoes.
We enjoy sweet potatoes year round but eat them more frequently this time of year. One of my favorite ways to eat sweet potatoes is in a savory Sweet Potato and Black Bean Burrito recipe I posted a while ago.
I think most people have a favorite sweet potato recipe they enjoy for Thanksgiving, usually one involving pecans and marshmallows. Nothing wrong with that…in fact, that might just be my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. However, I think the very best way to enjoy a sweet potato is very simply, with minimal ingredients.
So, how about this idea…
Bake a few sweet potatoes in the oven, add a dab of butter, top with thick chunks of cooked bacon and finally, a hefty spoonful or two of gorgonzola cheese. Pop the sweet potatoes back into the oven to further melt the cheese and dig in.
Simple Bacon and Gorgonzola Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes , scrubbed and dried
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6-7 slices cooked bacon
- 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese , crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork. Rub the skins with a little butter.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the oven. Cut a crisscross in each top with a knife.
- Press in and up on the ends of each potato.
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon butter to each potato, then fill with the cooked bacon and gorgonzola cheese.
- Place back in the oven for 1-2 minutes so the cheese melts.