Creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce, perfect over grilled chicken and pasta…
Fall has officially arrived and with it’s arrival has brought all the wonderful flavors of the season. My favorite foods to make and eat this time of the year all seem to center around pumpkin. This nutritious vegetable is loaded with vitamin A and fiber and it’s low in calories.
Since our evenings here in Houston are still quite mild, I decided to use our outdoor grill and grill a few chicken breasts. An easy dinner for another busy weeknight. However, I wanted to “jazz” the chicken breasts up a bit by making a pumpkin alfredo sauce to drizzle on top.
When I mentioned to my daughter that I was making Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce, she thought it wasn’t a very good idea. But, I went with my plan anyway and I’m so glad I did. This rich and creamy sauce is delicious! My daughter even loved it! Even if you aren’t a pumpkin fan, you really need to try this recipe. The pumpkin flavor is very subtle and of course, pumpkin and cream are perfect together (think pumpkin pie…) so it’s a perfect match. I added to the sauce a bit of nutmeg and nutty parmesan cheese and yes, we had a winner!
For my vegetarian son, I made pasta and topped his portion off with a hefty serving of the sauce.
This rich and creamy Pumpkin Alfredo Sauce is perfect on grilled chicken or pasta.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves of garlic , minced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 can pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups parmesan cheese , shredded
- salt and pepper , to taste
- Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan set to medium heat.
- Add the garlic to the pot. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the cream and the canned pumpkin.
- Continue to stir until the sauce thickens slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add the nutmeg, parmesan cheese and salt and pepper.
- Serve over pasta or drizzled over chicken breasts.