Here’s a recipe that’s perfect for this time of year…
Peppermint Mocha Ice Cream!
I’m the kind of gal that believes ice cream is great eaten any time of the year and no flavor would be more appropriate during the holidays than Peppermint Mocha.
I happen to love making homemade ice cream. It’s so easy and you just can’t beat the rich, creamy and fresh flavor you get you get when it’s homemade .
To make peppermint mocha ice cream, you start out by mixing the milk, granulated sugar, heavy cream, vanilla and a pinch of salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, melt the semi-sweet chocolate in the microwave and then mix in a bit of brewed coffee. Next, pour the melted chocolate mixture into the milk mixture and whisk it well. Finally, pour the entire contents into the base of an ice cream maker. During the last 5 minutes of churning, toss in crushed peppermints and in 30 minutes or so, you’ll have a rich, creamy and delectable peppermint mocha ice cream.
An interesting note is that while it took us about 30 minutes to completely churn our ice cream into a thick consistency, after about 15 minutes, my daughter noticed it looked just like the Frappuccino I get at Starbucks. So, we poured a little in a glass for her to enjoy with a straw.
Peppermint Mocha Ice Cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee cooled
- 3 peppermint candy canes crushed
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, sugar and salt. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate 20 seconds at a time, stirring in between until the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from the microwave and stir in the brewed coffee and mix well.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the milk mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Turn on the ice cream machine; pour the mixture into the freezer bowl, and let it mix until thickened, about 20-30 minutes, depending on your machine.
- During the last 5 minutes of churning, toss in the crushed peppermint candy canes.