We love pizza around here, but I had pretty much given it up since going low carb and gluten free. I used to miss it, but not anymore. I’ve discovered Grilled Portobello Pizzas and I no longer feel deprived.
I discovered I might have a gluten sensitivity several months ago. I noticed that I was feeling more tired than usual (it could also be because I have teenagers) and I just wasn’t feeling like myself. I’d heard a lot about gluten sensitivities and celiac disease so I decided to do some research on the subject. I thought the symptoms of a gluten sensitivity sounded a lot like the ones I was experiencing. I decided to first eliminate bread and wheat and I immediately noticed a change. When I experimented and ate bread, my symptoms returned. I’m in the experimental stage right now but I’ll keep you posted. Meanwhile, I’m discovering and enjoying lots of wonderful recipes that are low in carbs and good for us too. A perfect example are these flavorful grilled portobello pizzas.
Even if you don’t have a gluten sensitivity, I know you’ll love these portobello pizzas. They’re lightly grilled and can be topped with any of your favorite pizza toppings. I love them simple; a little tomato sauce, slices of mozzarella cheese, sliced tomatoes and fresh basil. I”ll pretty much guarantee you’ll love them too and you certainly won’t miss the crust.
Grilled Portobello Pizzas
- 4 large portobello mushroom tops, stems removed and gills scraped
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- 12 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella, shredded or sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
- 4 leaves large fresh basil, torn
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Drizzle the olive oil over all sides of the mushroom caps and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the tomato sauce over each mushroom cap.
- Top with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and parmesan.
- Place on the grill and cook for 4-6 minutes, or until the mushroom is tender and the cheese melts.
- Remove from the grill and top with torn basil.